IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

When I try to go to my start up window, a message comes up

Customer Question

When I try to go to my start up window, a message comes up that says "There is a critical error in my start up window and we will try to fix it next time you sign in." I try going out and signing in again, but the same message comes up.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Please tell me if Windows 10 is installed on your computer, or another Windows version.

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows 10
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
windows 10 is installed in my computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Thanks!

There is an easy fix for the the issue you described. I will provide the instructions for you now. Please hold on...

Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Here are the instructions:

1. First, restart the computer

2. Once you see the logon screen, do not select your user name or type anything, but look in the bottom right corner of the logon screen. You should see 3 icons. If you don't see any icons, then just click anywhere on the logon picture and then check again

3. Click on the power icon and then press and hold down the Shift key, and while still holding, click on Restart

4. Continue to hold down the Shift key until you see the "Choose an option" screen

5. On that screen, click on "Troubleshoot"

6. On the next screen, click on "Advanced options"

7. Next, lick on "Startup Settings"

8. Finally, click on the "Restart" button

Your computer will restart and offer you several choices. Press 5 to enter Safe Mode with Networking. You will see the black background with no colors. Also, many apps won't work there. Don't worry - it is only temporary. You just need to right-click on desktop and select Refresh. After that, just restart the computer the usual way.

After the restart, you Windows Start button should fully work.

Let me know if this helped.

Regards,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This has not helped. I have tried over and over, but it still tells me there is a critical problem in my start up.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello again!

I've been researching about the problem you are experiencing and it all point to the corrupted user profile. That sometimes happens when the upgrade to Windows 10 isn't fully completed. To solve the problem, you will need to create a new user account, and use it instead of the current user account. All the installed programs and documents will be accessible.

Here are the instructions:

1. Press the Windows logo key and R key on your keyboard at the same time. That will bring up the Run box

2. There type:

ms-settings:otherusers

and press Enter

3. The Accounts window will open. Click on + Add someone else to this PC located under "Other users" section

4. When a new window opens, click on I don't have this person's sign-in information located at the bottom

5. On the next screen, click on Add a user without a Microsoft account

6. You will then be able to type a name of the new account (any name) and password (optional)

7. Click Next to create the account

8. Once the account has been created, it will appear under "Other users"

By default, a new account will be a standard user (no administrative privileges). To change that, you can click on its name (under Other users) and then click on Change account type. Click on the drop-down box (where it says Standard User) and select Administrator, and click OK to confirm.

Your new account will then be ready to be used, so log out of your current account and log in to the newly created account. You can simply restart the computer and you will be taken to the logon screen where you can choose your newly created account.

Once logged in, check if the Windows Start button and other functions are working properly.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello again!

Let me know if creating a new user account solved the problem.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing you suggested worked. Waste of my money. My son came over and fixed the problem in about 15 minutes. I don't know what he did, but it worked. He tried your way too and couldn't make it work.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

No problem. The same instructions worked for other people with the same problem. It looks like they just didn't apply for your computer.

I am glad your son helped you out.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,