Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).
93256567

I cannot get into my aol account, the owner of the account

Customer Question

I cannot get into my aol account
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the owner of the account has closed his account and mine was a sub account.
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know what you mean - I have been on hold for 45 minutes with aol -
JA: Our top Computer Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Computer Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Computer Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you this evening. I understand that you had an AOL account that was inadvertently closed by the account owner?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I set up my account 14 yrs ago with my neighbor at the time - whom I haven't spoken to in over 13 years... I have no idea how to find him to get him to turn it on...

Gotcha! Despite it being a sub-account, AOL considers your account as its own entity and you should be able to successfully reactivate. May I ask what you're already tried so I don't have you re-tracing your steps?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I called aol and they said they couldn't reactivate it without talking to the owner. then I held for 45 minutes to speak to a supervisor and ended up hanging up. then I cried.

Yikes! That's incredibly frustrating. Very sorry you had to deal with that. May I have you try their "standard" process to see if it works before we get into more complicated stuff?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what is their standard process?

Here's what we'll try:

• Browse to AOL.com
  • Click on MAIL
  • Sign in with your old account name and password

...this should, then, prompt you to reactivate your account. Do you mind trying?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cant even get to the login screen - once i click on the mail option to enter my login I get : GAH! Error Message 11 - Account Cancelled.

May I ask your AOL username?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
FMLYOGRLS

Thank you for your patience. I will be back with you shortly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok. Thank you

Thanks again for your patience.

I've spoken with AOL, but am afraid I do not have good news. Due to the age of the account, it was setup in such a way that it cannot be separated out from under the "master" account -- even if the original account holder were available to give explicit permission to do so. The only option in this case would be for the original account holder to reactivate their account and keep it and all sub accounts open.

I understand your situation is such that the original account owner is unavailable and, thus, even the above is not a possibility. Being so, I deeply regret to pass along the news that you will need to create a new AOL account in order to continue using their service.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, and it is likewise not the answer I hoped to provide. I wish I could assist further, but this does appear to be a policy issue on AOL's end that can't be circumnavigated.

On a personal note from me to you, I am so sorry for the stress this situation is causing you. It's a painful situation to deal with, and if I can be of any further assistance insofar as recommending new services to try, etc., I'm glad to offer any advice I can.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
very distraught. very disappointed. everything I had over the last 14 years is on that email address.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
am I going to get charged for this? if so how much? also is this a one time charge? I don't wish to have a membership
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello?

I'm very sorry to have been unable to further assist with your issue. Your account does not indicate that you have a recurring subscription, so you will be charged only for the question you asked tonight.

Please know, however, that JustAnswer does offer a 30-day refund guarantee in the event you are not satisfied with my service. You can request a refund here:

http://www.justanswer.com/refund/refund-1-2/refund.aspx

Despite not being able to assist with this specific issue, we appreciate your business and hope you will consider returning in the future.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
your service was fine - but there was not a solution...

Thank you for your understanding. Given the situation, please investigate the refund procedure; JustAnswer's customer service team is very interested in making sure you are as happy with our service as possible and I'm sure would be willing to help in regard to the billing. I'm afraid I haven't access to the financial side of things, else I would help myself.

We do appreciate your business and hope we can be of better service next time!