IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

D:\EFI\Microsoft\Recovery>bcdboot c:\windows /s c: /f

Customer Question

D:\EFI\Microsoft\Recovery>bcdboot c:\windows /s c: /f UEFIBoot files successfully created.D:\EFI\Microsoft\Recovery>bcdeditThe boot configuration data store could not be opened.The requested system device cannot be found.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: msconfig lists no op sys
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: two boot managers in bios boot menu one does not work -- single op sys
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

I am a certified computer professional who can assist you with the problem you described.

I see your computer is unable to boot to Windows. Please tell me which Windows version is installed on the computer. Also, have you made any changes to your computer recently which resulted in this boot problem, or it just happened on its own?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the computer laptop boots to windows 10 ok but
1> there are two boot mgr entries in bios boot of which only one works
2>msconfig does not show any operating systems listed --- as such am unable to select options such as safe boot etc
3> ordinarily I would clear the CMOS in an attempt to correct any problems that might be there but being a laptop removing the battery (if possible) is easier said than doneBill
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Bill.

Thanks for the update!

First, I suggest resetting the BIOS/UEFI settings to their default. To do that, restart the computer and press the F1 or F2 button to enter the BIOS/UEFI setup. There look for the Exit tab where the Load Setup Defaults option should be available. Press Enter and confirm when asked. After that, select Save Changes and Exit. Your computer will then restart.

In case you don't see such options, look for all tabs to find an option to reset settings or load defaults.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried that several times - no good
computer boots ok but no op sys listed in msconfig and options such as safe boot are not accessable
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

May I know when this problem first started to happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't knowI ran across it when I did my periodic check of all my computer parametersI did notice that in bios there is the ability to add & delete windows boot mgrs.right now I am studying/attempting to learn how to create a boot mgr from scratchBill
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information!

You should be able to fix the missing boot configuration in Windows using the bcdedit command. I suggest reading this article first:

http://rajandmk.blogspot.hr/2012/09/how-to-create-clean-bcd-file-to-fix.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you get any useful information from this data???????????There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.
Path: D:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCDDefault: Microsoft Windows
Timeout: 10 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: D:\Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exeEntry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows
BCD ID: {579d83dd-e938-11e5-9ce8-acd1b8ce6a7e}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exeEntry #3
Name: Microsoft Windows
BCD ID: {5b5bf7f6-e938-11e5-9ce8-acd1b8ce6a7e}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exeI believe the drive that the proper EFI directory should be on is the 100 MB partition (see screenshot) ????
I need to know is that before I recreate the BCD file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NEWS FLASH
MY COMPUTER IS A UFEI SYSTEMANDTHE LINK YOU SUPPLIED IS NOT UFEI COMPATIBLEHow to Create a Clean BCD file to fix Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 Boot problem
Note: Not for UEFI systems
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update!

Yes, the boot configuration files should be stored in the reserved 100 MB partition. Solving this problem manually may not be easy, so I suggest booting from a Windows 10 installation media and executing several boot repair commands using the Command Prompt.

Click here to see the explanation:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Since you have Windows 10, you cannot boot into recovery just by pressing the F8 key while the computer is powering on, which was possible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Shift + F8). Instead, you need to boot from a bootable Windows 10 disc or a bootable Windows*****

In case you don't have any of those, you can create it easily. Here is how:

First, go to this link in order to download the Windows 10 media creation tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Run the tool and select the Create installation media for another PC option and click Next. You will then be able to choose between creating a bootable USB flash drive or a bootable disc (ISO file). My recommendation is to go with the bootable disc so that you can always have your own Windows 10 installation disc if needed in the future. So, choose the ISO file option and click Next. Select where to store the Windows 10 ISO file and let it download. It could take some time for it to finish.

When done, you will need to burn the ISO file onto a blank disc (DVD). To do that, you can use a free program named Free ISO Burner which you can download on this link:

http://tinyurl.com/no2zumy

Start Free ISO Burner and insert a blank DVD. Click Open and locate the ISO file you downloaded using the media creation tool and then click Burn. After you have burned the disc, restart the computer. It should then load the Windows 10 setup from the disc. If not, you will need to access the BIOS (UEFI) and set booting from the CD/DVD drive.

At the Windows Setup screen, you will then be given a way to (re)install Windows 10, or to repair it. Select "Repair your computer" option located in the bottom left corner. The "Choose an option" screen will appear. On that screen, click on "Troubleshoot", then click on "Advanced options" and then click "Command Prompt".

The computer will then start the Command Prompt. Once started, execute these 3 commands below:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Note that there is space after "bootrec". When done, you can eject the Windows 10 installation disc and restart the computer.

Hopefully, that will restore the correct boot configuration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to no avail
SoI cured the patient by cutting off his head
I don't know how the boot system files became corrupt in the first place
I thought it ay have been something to do with restoring an image backup
so I installed a very base system and checked msconfig and the op sys appeared in the boot section like it should have but was not prior to this major surgery
I then restored from the base image file
I then loaded the rest of my files from a mounted backup file rather than restore from the image
I backed them up
I restored again
and msconfig still appeared normal
My next step is to restore the image from the suspect backup file and see if it corrupts msconfig or more rather the boot files
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update!

Since the boot configuration has returned after restoring from an image backup, it means the problem was somewhere in Windows, not in the BIOS/UEFI boot. It is good you had created an image backup. If you can, check which partitions that image backup contains. If it contains a backup of the reserved 100 MB partition, then you probably only need to restore that one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
retur
I agreeAs an experiment I restored the suspected corrupt image file and the old symptoms returned eliminating the opsys display from the msconfig applicationI will now try just restoring the 100 MB partition and will let you know if that workedBill
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me know what happened.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
partition restore did not work so fell back to functional backupno further assistance requiredBill
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me know, Bill.

It is good you had created a backup, so you don't need to worry about further complications.

For any other issue, feel free to let me know.

Before you leave, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Best regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Thanks,