John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE

I have a Toshiba AMD A6. My wireless capacity, according to

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba AMD A6. My wireless capacity, according to the computer is turned off. When I touch the wireless key nothing happens. The only way I can go online is ethernet cable. I have wireless in the home which works fine for my phone and TV.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

Sir could you please let me know the full model of the Toshiba laptop which you can find on the bottom of the laptop.

When is the last time you gone online using wi-fi on this laptop?

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Sir please answer my above questions so that we can start fixing the issue you are facing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to know how to turn wireless access on my Toshiba laptop. Part # ***** Serial # *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How to turn on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Model # *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Seth Merrick explains replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

You said you tried various key-combinations (including Ctrl, etc.).

Do you have a key labeled "Fn" or "fn" (maybe in the lower-left corner of your keyboard, or anywhere else)?

If so, have you tried that?

Please let us know -- thanks!

Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 7 months ago.

Hello, and sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing!

The Toshiba C55 has a wireless card inside manufactured by Atheros, and it's give a lot of problems to a lot of people. The problem could be one of a few things, but let's rule them out one-by-one.

First thing to check is whether the device's software driver has gone nuts on you. Try this:

Click Start.

Right-click Computer (or This PC), and select Manage.

In the window that pops up, look for Device Manager on the left side, and click it. This will display (on the right half of the window) all of the various hardware devices built into your laptop.

Look for the Network Adapters category. If there's a minus beside it, see if there's anything listed underneath it and displaying a yellow exclamation mark. If there is, right-click it and choose to uninstall, then reboot your computer.

If there is a plus symbol next to Network Adapter, click it. You should find at least two devices listed underneath. One should be called Atheros (or give another indication it is your wireless network card). Right-click it, choose to uninstall, and reboot your computer.

After your computer reboots, Windows will re-detect and the device you uninstalled, and attempt to reinstall it automatically. Assuming this succeeds -- it should -- wireless access may be restored. If not, post back and we'll continue to the next step!

Good luck.

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Sir i apologize for the delay i wasn't online when you replied.

I do not think remote support is apt for this situation.

Have you tried the above suggestion given by fellow experts?