Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have an older emachine 3g computer 32bit Vista. Recently

Customer Question

I have an older emachine 3g computer 32bit Vista. Recently while installing Kaspersky ani virus, I found I can no longer open Media player. Long story short I may have really messed things up trying to get it back ie, uninstall, restore to previous point, and so on. I'm a novice, so I shouldn't have tried. Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message? Do you mean you cannot play any music, or video / movie, etc.?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cannot play any music, or even view my library. The media center opens but mention something is missing to go to music.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure I'm ready ready to sink more money into this yet.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Louie, my name is***** expert that you were working with has opted out, but I would be happy to try to assist. I do understand your reluctance to spend more money, and I will be happy to provide instructions that SHOULD work, however, from what I've read you've probably tried most of what I would recommend. That's why I really think think that a SECURE REMOTE connection is the best solution. This is a PREMIUM SERVICE but I will offer it to you at a greatly reduced price, simply because it will be the easiest way to fix this.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

This is optional, and if you choose not to do this, I'll do my best to help you here. I'd recommend that you start by completely uninstalling Windows Media Player. Delete the folder where it resides as well. Remove all references to it in the registry (be SURE that you backup registry and understand how to restore registry first!). Reboot your computer. Perform a clean install of Windows Media Player for Vista (it will be version 11). This should work. If you decide not to accept the SECURE REMOTE ASSISTANCE offer and want more detailed instructions please let me know. Have a pleasant evening!