Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I received a call from a company called Merchant Zoom saying

Customer Question

I received a call from a company called Merchant Zoom saying they were receiving Administrative Event reports from my computer. They say they are from Microsoft and want to charge me $349 to repair the 29,643 event problems. My computer screen data jitters and then goes away for awhile and then returns. He stated that I had someone hacking my computer and said that I need to buy a new license for Microsoft Software and Services and Microsoft Security Essentials. What should I do to resolve these problems. Is this a legitimate Microsoft company. Thank You in advance
Richard Hendrick (###) ###-####
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is 100% a scam. This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never call you for no reason.

This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.

Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.

Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Here is what Microsoft says on the subject:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call you. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Since you already paid them I would keep contacting your bank and see if you can have the charges reversed at you were mislead into believing it was microsoft who was calling. As I said no legitimate tech support company would ever call you, you would reach out to a tech professional if you needed help like you did just now with me.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help. Also I sent through an offer for premium service, you could choose this option if you want me to connect to your computer and make sure they did not do any damage or leave themselves a way to get into your computer without your knowledge.

Thank you