Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  10 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
10156100

I was online on my ipad and suddenly my ipad froze and a

Customer Question

I was online on my ipad and suddenly my ipad froze and a message appeared telling me how much trouble I was in and if I sent them 500 dollars they would release my ipad. I went to settings and reset all settings and could not un freeze the ipad
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris.

Did you do a reset by choosing "Erase all Content and Settings"?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Cris replied 9 months ago.

Try holding the top button and home button down together at the same time.

Continue to hold the two buttons down until the iPad shuts off and the Apple logo appears. Then wait about 1 minute for the device to boot up. Let em know if this unfreezes your device.

If so selecting a positive rating is appreciated. Reply to me with any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Cris replied 9 months ago.

No, what?

Please give me more details.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It did not unfreeze my ipad
Expert:  Cris replied 9 months ago.

Did the iPad restart? The more detail you give me on your replies the further I can help you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
everything you said happened except the unfreezing of ipad
Expert:  Cris replied 9 months ago.

Reset your device using DFU mode this will require use of a PC with iTunes and your iPad being connected to it with USB cable.

1. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
  2. Turn Off your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad if it isn't already.
  3. Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side (iPhone 6 or later) or top (all other iPhones, iPods, and iPads) for 3 seconds.
  4. Swipe the slide to power off confirmation slider to the right.
    1. Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side (iPhone 6 or later) or top (all other iPhones, iPods, and iPads) of you iPhone for 3 seconds.
    2. Press and hold down the Home button on the front of your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad while still holding down the On/Off button.
    3. Keep holding both buttons down for 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
    4. Let go of the On/Off Button but keep holding the Home button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plus into iTunes" screen then you held it too long and will need to start again.)
    5. If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.

At this point iTunes will show you an alert saying it's detected your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and it needs to be restored.

Expert:  Cris replied 9 months ago.

Did my solution work for you?