SladeV
SladeV, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Attended college for computer networking an repair
75918681

How to restore deleted partition and its files

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi Bill,

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

To use EaseUS or Wise Restore to recover a deleted partition, you should remove the hard drive from the computer and connect it to another computer to run the recovery process there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pete--
I composed a reply but it disappeared so this may be a partial repeat of that.
I got EaseUS running without following your suggestion to remove the drive and connect It to another computer and also note now that I can use EaseUS support that they do not make the suggestion to remove the drive that you did. I will consider your reason for your suggestion if you wish to defend it. Otherwise it seems that would have been an unnecessary step and that would affect how I rate your answer to my question.I have also sent EaseUS an email noting that although their program finds the hard drive in question, their partition wizard does not and therefore I cannot perform the undelete. While I am hoping for an early response from them, If you can assist in what I can do about this, I would appreciate that. Here is the email I sent to EaseUS Support:" I am attempting to recover a partition I inadvertently deleted from one of several hard drives in my computer.EaseUS shows all my hard drives including the one on which I hope to undelete the deleted partition.EaseUS shows the drive with the deleted partition as Disk 2 Dynamic MBR 1.36 TB, showing partitions D, E, F, G, and H and two unallocated areas of 48.78 GB and 225.39 GB.The unallocated area of 225.39 GB holds the files I wish to recover, designated before deletion as letter I. I am unsure what the 48.78 area might have held if anything.Next I run Partition Recovery Wizard in manual mode (automatic mode does not list anything) and get another report of my drives but without listing Disk2. So then I cannot select the unallocated areas to continue the recovery.What can I do to continue the processs to recover the partition?"
[end of email to EaseUS Support]Thanks,Bill Jones
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi Bill,

You are trying to recover data on a hard disk that is also acting as your OS, and that can sometimes result in conflict that prevents EaseUS from running; that is why I made the suggestion.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Your suggestion would have sent me down an ineffective path as the drive with the deleted partition is not my OS drive.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Bill, you are getting confused between the hard disk and the partition.

There can be multiple partitions on one hard disk.

Try my suggestion please.

Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pete--
The partition that has been deleted is on a separate physical hard drive from the hard drive on which the OS resides. Thus I cannot yet understand how moving that drive to another computer would be of use.At the outset I was not able to get EaseUS to even run. Now that I am past that and it is running, the need is to find a way to have EaseUS recognize in their Partition Recovery Wizard the drive with the deleted partition is there (EaseUS Partition Recovery Wizard recognizes all the drives I have-several--but not the one with the deleted partition even though EaseUS does recognize that drive when it first reports the drives present under the General tab. My email to EaseUS that I copied to you explains this. They have asked that I send screen shots of pages showing the presence/absence of drives at various steps and I have sent that to them. Perhaps those would be useful to you also if you are familiar with the way EaseUS works.Bill Jones
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi Bill, I wasn't aware that your OS was running on a separate drive - apologies for that!

You can keep the hard drive where it is and try repairing it using the existing computer.

If you could attach the screenshots here that would be useful.

Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried various ways of attaching the screenshots and none worked well. Perhaps the attachments I'm sending won't work well either, but I can't open them to determine that.Bill Jones
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

The screenshots worked well, thanks.

I cannot see what the issue could be so I will open this question up to the other experts.

Expert:  SladeV replied 8 months ago.

My name is***** will help you too the best of my ability.

Let us try, and sort some of this confusion out. You some how managed too delete a partition which, you had important files on and would like too recover them?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Robert May--
Time has been of the essence in resolving the problem created when I deleted a partition on a drive. Unfortunately the prior tech specialist gave incorrect advice, which used up the time I had available. Meanwhile I continued to seek for a solution other than the incorrect one he proposed and I have since been able to recover most or perhaps all of the files using other resources. Although I still need to verify all of the files have been recovered, it is likely they have been. Meanwhile I am out of time to continue this process of verification. I am therefore concluding that Just Answer has not succeeded in this case and will ask that the case be closed and my costs refunded.
Bill Jones