Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Compaq Vista. my DVD Drive was working fine and

Customer Question

I have a Compaq Vista. my DVD Drive was working fine and then it stopped. Could you tell me what the problem is?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've never had any problems with my drive. but after the last time I used it, it wouldn't play my DVDs. I don't know what happened.
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

how old is the computer and how often do you use the cd/dvd disks on the computer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't remember when I got the computer and I use my DVDs daily.

just for my knowledge i need to know roughly will it be more then 3 years old?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
more than 3 years old

Just for your information and update, a cd/dvd rom basically work good for 2 years or so the lens which reads the disks gets weaker and dirty due to dust gets accumalated on the lens top which prevents the drive to read any disks and it depends on the disk condition as well.

you can try using a cd/dvd lens cleanser if the lens is good then it will start reading disks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is it a software problem or a hardware problem and how do I solve it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the drive doesn't appear anywhere. It just disappeared.

its a hardware problem and not a software however you may give it a try by removing the driver software and reinstall it back which works most of the times.

Open device manager and then check for cd/dvd drive and try to remove it and reboot the computer it will automatically pick the driver software.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my mistake it's in my computercomputer folder under Presario _ RP (D:) but it won't work. it's like it's not there.

restart the computer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it's not in the device manager

press the scan hardware button on the top and let me know if it scans the drive.