Jared Schwager
Jared Schwager,
Experience:  Tier 2 Helpdesk Technician at Sutherland Global Servicces
93019336

I just upgraded my Dell INspiron XPS to Windows 10 and it

Customer Question

I just upgraded my Dell INspiron XPS to Windows 10 and it will not recognize or install any mouse What to do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jared Schwager replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for contacting JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'd be more than happy to help you. Below are a few questions so I can gather some further information about your situation:

1. What brand is the mouse?

2. Does it have a USB plug on it? (rectangle with a plastic lip on one side)

3. If it is a USB mouse, have you tried plugging it into any other USB ports on your laptop?

I look forward to your response. Thanks!

Please forgive me. I do see now in your notes that you have tried different ports and mice on your computer. I'm currently doing some further investigation to see if this is a known issue.

Do you happen to know which Dell XPS model you have? Is this a laptop or a desktop?

If you are unsure please feel free to try accessing the following page and click on the blue "Detect Product" button. This should provide you with the model information. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
MOUSE iNSIGNIA
usb connected
YES TRIED SEVERAL PORTS
DELL INSPIRON XPS 420 DESKTOP

Thank you I'm looking into this for you right now.

Please try restarting your XPS and while it is booting up (before the Windows logo appears) keep pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. You should be presented with a list of options at this point, one of these being "Repair Your Computer". Please try selecting this option to see if this will resolve the issue.

You will need to repeatedly tap the F8 button

If the repair option does not resolve the issue try rebooting the computer again and after repeatedly tapping F8 instead of the repair option you can choose "Safe Mode". This should allow you to get into a minimalistic version of Windows. Let me know if you're able to use the mouse when you're in safe mode.

Hello I haven't heard from you in quite a while. Has the issue been resolved? If not, please reply back when you get a chance and I can continue with troubleshooting your issue. Thanks!

Hello. I haven't heard from you since our last conversation on March 5th. Are you still experiencing issues with your mouse?