Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a pop up on my pc wthat will not go away. it says I

Customer Question

I have a pop up on my pc wthat will not go away. it says I have a threat. I scan every day and my protection says I have no problems. How to get this off I called the number 1(###) ###-####and no answer just a message to leave number to call back, no help there. I need my computer. help! this is a fairly new computer, this has beenhappening since I got it. ACER tried to help but out of thieir range of help options. I need help now. I cannot reach my files it keeps coming up. there is a dark blue screen behind the notice something about windows defend which I cannot read. pls help by pc or phone,(###) ###-#### Norma
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Norma.

It is a fake website your seeing on your computer, please do not call the number as they will try to gain your credit card details. They are not affiliated with Microsoft in any way.

Ca you tell me please, in which internet browser are you seeing this page? eg: Internet Explorer?

Please let me know.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to get this fixed without several other offers to pay you moremoney. I would like you to fix this. I think I have given enough information to get you started. I thiink I am on yahoo. I clicked on microsoft edge, but I always get yahoo. I haven't givenany information except y tel. no to the number onthe screen. Lets get going, I have a life.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not hearing anything fromyou. what is going on, are you a scam too?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Norma, the offer was optional as I explained. You did not mention the web browser initially and of course we need this in order to resolve it.

Which anti virus software have you installed on the computer?

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

No we are not a scam Norma, you just need to allow a minute for me to reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
AVAST
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, open Avast and run a full scan on your computer to find any threats you have. Once found tell it to quarantine the threats then restart the computer and tell me if it still pops up please.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I ran a scan last nite, no threats noticed, but i will do it again now. no threats identified. just outdated software, no pop ups, slowperfomance, others which I would have to pay to update. Mainly nothreats
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, the fact the scan which usually takes 40 minutes finished so quickly is concerning... but can you click on my link below please and install Google Chrome

www.google.com/chrome

Once installed, open it and tell me if your able to go onto the internet without the popups now showing.

Please let me know.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

How did you go Norma?

Expert:  BigDish101 replied 9 months ago.

I would run Norton Power Eraser to be sure Avast got everything.

https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx

Norton™ Power Eraser

Eliminates deeply embedded and difficult to remove crimeware that traditional virus scanning doesn't always detect.

FREE!

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I am still here Norma,

Let me know the results please.