Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Gateway ZX6971 desktop computer that I am trying to

Customer Question

I have a Gateway ZX6971 desktop computer that I am trying to use. After it boots up, the message press Carl-alt-delete or Windows security button to log on. When I attempt this, nothing happens. I do not know where the Windows security button is located. The keyboard and mouse is being recognized because it works in the boot up before this point. Can you help me
Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

As the first step Tom, can you please remove the power cable from the computer then hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.

Then connect the power cable, turn on the computer and tell me if it then starts.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I did that and the same results. As it was booting, I selected start Windows normally with my keyboard and verified the keyboard is working
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, power it off.

Power it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu. Can you get to this menu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the menu starts with repair your computer with other options below
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, now choose to repair the computer.

Let this complete and tell me if it now starts please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now a screen appeared named system recovery options, there seems to be a drop down with select a keyboard input method with us highlighted in blue. Neither the mouse or keyboard is accessible now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Are you using a wireless keyboard and mouse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they are hard wired to the USB ports
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, change the usb port for both of them and tell me if it now controls the menu.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now it is asking for a password. The only option is user. I don't know the password
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

try leaving it blank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and get an error user name or password ***** *****
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok,its a password ***** set when you first installed windows, but now the keyboard is working, restart the computer and tell me if it now functions please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I start Windows normally
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now a am at the login screen. It is asking for a user name and password ***** the password ***** the previous user. I initially used this computer at home and after getting a Mac, took this to my office and one of the guys there was using it. I do not know his password ***** want to start fresh
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then try to do a factory restore which removes all data from the computer and returns it to new.

So power off the computer, power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery manager.

Then choose to perform a factory restore.

This works IF they did not remove this image

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried twice, keeps bringing me back to previous log on screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does give me an option to switch user but then ask for user name and password
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, was afraid of this but they removed the image and put on the work image.

you need to get a windows disk and install it from this, as the image thats supplied with the computer has been wiped.

You put the windows disk in the computer, start the computer and keep tapping any key and the disk will load.

You then go through the installation of windows and the computer will be as new, but you need a windows disk to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, where do I get that?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you need to purchase it, you can get one from my link below

Click me to open

Or ask the company you got it from if they can lend you one to install.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you