Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

My emachines laptop installed updates last night, and now it

Customer Question

My emachines laptop installed updates last night, and now it won't boot up. The "e" screen comes on for about one second, then the screen goes blank and a blinking underline appears at the top left corner on a black screen
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just turned it on while holding down F11, now funny characters are appearing on the screen with the blinking underline: pink u's in blue boxes, smiley faces, Greek lowercase sigma, female symbol, etc
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tech Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.
Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
Plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).
Normally power on the notebook.
If the unit does not power on, remove the ac adapter and insert the battery into the system.
Plug the ac adapter back into the system, the battery charging indicator light will light up.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried everything exactly as you said but the issue persists. Black screen with blinking cursor at the top left.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

It seems that the computer is unable to detect the hard drive. Are you sure that you have removed battery before trying the instructions I have given?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I physically removed the battery from the laptop. This is similar to the issue I had with this laptop in June 2014 when the only solution to it not booting up was to take it to a repair shop. Since it is not exactly the same in that the screen is black with a blinking cursor, I must ask if you believe you can make a positive difference if I allow a remote connect. I am not in a position to spend more money with you if I must spend that and more going to a repair shop.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Please be informed that, since the computer is not booting up, we are unable to access the computer remotely. So, please do no opt of remote support.

The issue seems with the hard drive and the drive is not recognized by the computer. You may have to replace it in order to get the issue resolved.

I would suggest you get help from a local technician, replace the hard drive if needed, before that backup the data in your computer.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Thank you.

S H E F I N