Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I just got a new Dell desktop computer with Windows 10. This

Customer Question

I just got a new Dell desktop computer with Windows 10.
This morning the power went off briefly and when it came back on the screen now has a beautiful picture with date and time on it. That is not my screensaver or home page. When I click on it my name, email address, and a password ***** comes up. I have no clue how to get out of this!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you currently have access to that email address (on another working computer or tablet or smartphone)?

Is it okay to reset the new computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm using my iPad to communicate because the computer won't do anything.
I really don't want to use the Microsoft setup. And the tech who set it up used my Centurylink homepage through Google

OK. Is it okay to reset the new computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Don't see how if I am using my iPad to communicate

I can provide you the steps, then you can try on the dell computer okay? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok we can try

Thank you. Please try the following steps to reset the new Dell computer:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

Do you see a menu / the Troubleshoot option when trying the above steps?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But do I want to remove everything ????

Yes, please remove everything, thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok now it shows Reset this PC

Please continue the reset, then let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It says 1%
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It now says 2

It takes awhile to reset, but it is looking good. Once it is finished resetting, it will let you set up a new password ***** want; make sure you remember the password ***** will enter this time. Do you need anything else for now? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I guess not but am I to let you know what happens? I am panicking about it being set up the way it was

OK, you can take a break as resetting takes awhile, but it should be fine later on when the resetting process is finished, but if there is still any issue later, you can always get back to me via the email message from JustAnswer / Viet in your email. Please confirm later. Thank you.

The reset process should be finished by now, and it should have let you set up the computer with a new password ***** want. If there is still any issue, please reply back, so I can help further. If everything is fine, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience,