Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I received a call about error on my computer. I thought at

Customer Question

I received a call about error on my computer. I thought at first that this was a Microsoft co but it was an independent company. They stated my computer had a Koobface worm and my information was not secure because of this. They were loading program on my computer to make it safer and all of it was going to cost around $423.98. I had given them routing # ***** from my checkbook. I decided not to do this and cancelled everything.
They called themselves a Independent Microsoft Pinpoint Company.
Is this a legitimate company?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That is certainly a scam; it is not a legitimate company. Please always ignore any phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

Was there any issue with your computer? Is there currently any issue with your computer?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They had me go to a page that showed I had errors or warnings about some of my programs and then to a page that showed where the programs had stopped running. They had control of my computer. They also said my computer had a Koobface worm.

That was a fake page. Do you have an antivirus / security program installed on your computer?

Please try:

1. Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then the System Restore window should open. Then click on Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue first occurred.

2. Change your important account passwords, such as email password, facebook password, online banking password, etc. if you use.

3. Use your antivirus / security program to scan your computer. Or use the free AVG Anti-Virus software below:

http://free.avg.com

Also, if they have charged you, then call your bank to report fraud.

You can also click on the website below for an article about phone scams:

http://www.bbb.org/blog/2015/03/hear-what-the-microsoft-support-scam-sounds-like/

Basically, in the future, you should always ignore any phone call or email message or popup message that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

If you still have any further about this, or if you need anything else, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much,