Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

I just experienced a persistent pop-up screen reading

Customer Question

I just experienced a persistent pop-up screen reading BSDO:DLL Registry Serverfailed with the Error Code Ox80040201 and recommending I call Microsoft support at 1-***-***-****.
It feels like Malware Blackmail.
I called the number and was told tp press MS logo key and the R key at the same time and enter "IEXPLORE WWW.fastsupport.com/3041197484"
However, It felt like a fraud in progress, so I did not hit RUN, as was being recommended.
Is 1-***-***-**** a valid Microsoft Support number? or was I about to give a fraudster access to my registry?
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pop-up takeover of my PC hardly seems like a legitimate business approach. I hope it is not how Microsoft generates revenue.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, The BSOD : DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x80040201 pop-up is a tech scam support, which is used by scammers to promote their paid online services. If you see this pop-up alert always promoting out on your Edge, IE, Chrome or Firefox, it only means that your computer is infected with adware, spyware or malware.

What is the version of your operating system (xp, 7, 8 or 10) ? and which browser you are using please such chrome, firefox ect..

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

are you there please?

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Please follow the steps below :

1-First run a full scan using your antivirus program

2-Next, you want to run Malwarebytes, a free malware/virus scanner. Please click https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download Once you install it, Please Update and then run a Scan and Delete any Malware/Viruses.
It should take 25-55 minutes to complete.

3-Once that is complete, please download Ccleaner, as this will clean temp and corrupted files from your computer.

Click http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner (please uncheck history)

4-download AdwCleaner from the below link : https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer and your web browsers and delete browser extensions and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge, Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon. When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the “Scan” button, once it finish scanning Please click on the “Clean” button.

5-Uninstall unwanted or newly added programs. Please Start Menu >> Control Panel >> Uninstall a program/Programs and Features Scroll through the program list and highlight unwanted programs. Then, click Uninstall

6-Reset your browser settings :

Internet explorer :

1. Close all Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
  2. Reopen Internet Explorer.
  3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet options.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. ...
  5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

For firefox :

1. Click the menu button and then click help .
  2. From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information
  3. Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
  4. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.

For google chrome :

1. Open Chrome.
  2. In the top right, click the Chrome menu .
  3. Click Settings.
  4. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  5. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  6. In the box that appears, click Reset.

Hope this help

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today, If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the stars below, positive ratings are appreciated. If you still need help please reply back to me and i will gladly continue to help, Only rate if you are satisified, Please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service if you are not satisfied.

JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.

regards,

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the stars below, positive ratings are appreciated. If you need any further help please let me know and i will gladly continue to help, only rate if you are satisfied, please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service if you are not satisfied.

Thank you very much

regards,