Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

TODAY I received a MICROSOFT msg. on my computer that said

Customer Question

TODAY I received a MICROSOFT msg. on my computer that said it has been LOCKED -
and I could NOT exit the page. I was then directed to TROTH SOLUTIONS who took control of my computer and did a complete scan and removal of any viruses (I'm hoping) at a cost of $310. But now I am nervous if this was LIGITIMATE COMPANY endorsed by Microsoft?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, they were not a legitmate company and what you have experienced was a tech support scam. However, the good news is that most banks, merchants and credit card providers are aware of such tech support scams so users who've been scammed can initiate a charge back with their banks or with whatever payment method they have used to get the money back. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My MAIN concern is... since I allowed them to take control of the computer (to scan and check for viruses),
will they be able to access it and view my important banking accounts... and everything else?...
now or in the future??Ah Ha!... which is exactly like your 'prefer' message just below here.

It depends on what type of access they had, if they told you to download number and password, a program and give them a 9 digit number and a password (TeamViewer) then they can if they have the password, if they used LogMeIn and gave you a six digit code, then they can't cause they will need you to enter a new code. The program they have used, if it's there - should be uninstalled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your response has been read. Thank you.

Welcome. If you have any further questions, let me know and if you have no more questions, a rating by clicking the star icon on this page will be greatly appreciated.