Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I had to clean my old computer(DEll) and restored it to

Customer Question

i had to clean my old computer(DEll) and restored it to factory settings. Everything works except wireless. I called dell and they told me the drivers to download and I did but it doesn't work. Any answers?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Ira

Can you tell me please exactly what is going wrong with wireless? How does it fail when you try to connect? And what errors do you get?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I actually installed Windows 7 before but still no networks are seen by the computer.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

So when you bring up the list of wireless networks, nothing is showing at all in the list?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yep
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it says something about a network adapter not installed
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, Click start, type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

Whats listed in the window thats open eg: local network adapter

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
bluetooth network connection not connected
local area connection netwrk cable unplugged broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated...
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

thanks

Whats the model of the Dell?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i actually installed ubuntu a couple of days ago and it did connect.
its a dell vostro 1500
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

yeah, points to a driver problem, I know you said you installed it but lets make sure its done right.

1 minute as I get it

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Download it from here

http://downloads.dell.com/network/R209077.exe

Copy it to the computer and run it and make sure to perform the installation.

Then restart and use the ncpa.cpl command and tell me if you now see the adapter listed please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i can't install because it says no compatible hardware found. I may have screwed up the whole dell thing when I did Windows 7
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, you said factory restore which is vista. DId you do a factory install or install windows 7?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
install windows 7
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, drivers are only for Vista, but try these drivers please as you may have a different card

http://downloads.dell.com/network/R202962.exe

http://downloads.dell.com/network/R167729.EXE

Either of these install?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no on both
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have to leave for a couple of hours. can we resume then
/
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, problem is the drivers do not work with windows 7 as they are all three, you need to use Vista which is what the computer and drivers are designed for or get a wireless adapter such as this one

Click me to open

Which will work, else to do a proper factory restore to return the computer to new condition with drivers installed you do the following

Turn off your computer.
Turn on the computer and when the Dell logo appears on the screen, press F8 several times to open the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Note: If the Advanced Boot Options menu doesn't open, wait for the Windows login prompt. Then restart the computer and try again.
Use the Arrow keys to select Repair Your Computer and then press Enter.
On the System Recovery Options menu, select a keyboard layout and click Next.
On the next screen you can log in as a local user or the Administrator.
Note: Use the drop down menu to the right of User name: to select the local user or the Administrator account and enter the password ***** that account. If you have not set up a password ***** the local user account leave the password ***** empty and click OK.
Depending on your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools and then Dell Factory Image Restore.
Click Next to open the Confirm Data Deletion menu.
Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box and click Next.
Note: The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
After the restore operation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.

The computer is as new, and wireless will work, but before doing this backup your files first (programs you need to install again) as this removes everything.

But you will need to do one of these two options.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Ill mark the question to never close so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks. i will
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

your welcome

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried but it says Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. I have dvds but I don't think the dvd drive is working
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Ok, you removed the Recovery image, or someone did on this computer.

The adapter I recommended is $10 and is easiest for you, is this not the better solution for you as you have a non working DVD drive?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where do i buy an adapter. can i buy it online with another computer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome

I really think thats the best way forward for you

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit.

Thank you