Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I just called a number that says Yahoo tech support that is

Customer Question

I just called a number that says Yahoo tech support that is on your list of questions. The number is ***** The 'technician told me that I had malware on my computer that was messing up my registries and also allowed a hacker in. After much discussion he said that (someone else) could fix it for only $200.00 . I think for many reasons that this is a scam. Are you aware of this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That is certainly a scam. They pretend to be from a legitimate company, such as Yahoo, Microsoft, Google, etc. You should always ignore any popup message, or email message, or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting. Microsoft has written an article about this kind of scams at the website below:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/phishing-symptoms.aspx

How did you get that number? Was there any issue with your computer that you needed to call that number?

Is there still any issue with your computer?

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.