Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

PC cant boot up get a cursor with a black screen, F9 results

Customer Question

PC cant boot up get a cursor with a black screen, F9 results say BIOHD1
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: nope
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tech Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, whats the full name brand and model of your PC?

Also, what version of windows does it have installed. Windows xp, vista, windows 7, windows 8, or windows 10 ?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure what was originally installed I upgraded to 10 about three months ago
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** are running windows 10.

How about the name brand and model of the PC.. Such as An acer spire x15 or a Dell Inspiron 15r ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HP Pavillion model HPE 450f
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im on my laptop with you now over wifi its my desk top that's fried
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Understood.. Ok, now that I understand the version of windows we are working with and I have a clear image of the actual desktop we are working with.

Heres what I need to know next. If you turn the desktop off , then turn it on.

In order, what do we see on screen? Does it go straight to the black screen with a blinking cursor?

Or, do you see the HP splash screen first? Does it ever bring up the windows sign in screen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HP splash screen and then - black screen with blinking cursor in the left hand corner - next it looks like its trying to boot with a Client MAC addr and spinning cursor for abut a min or so then Exiting then it says Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
never a windows sign in screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Understood.

Ok, when you very first press power and you see the HP splash screen if you hurry and tap the F10 key..

That should get you into the bios settings. Inside the bios settings.

If we check the boot order, what exactly is listed first?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where do I look under main advanced power boot or exit
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

It should be in the boot section..

After we check the boot order.. I also want you to look in every section and disable / turn off anything similar to

Secure boot

Fast boot

And enable anything similar to d2d recovery or recovery ( if you see it )

check all sections thoroughly~

And especially verify what you have listed for your first and second boot devices, word for word.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Under boot it says1st boot device CD-Rom
2nd Boot device Hard Drive Group
3rd bootdevice Floppy group
4th boot device Network boot group
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1st Boot Device [CD-Rom Group]
2nd Boot Device [Floppy Group]
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't see secure or fast boot anywhere
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Hmmm.. It doesnt at any point list a hard drive with a strange or long code next to it?

Still, lets make sure we change your first boot device to the hard drive group.

And if you see any dhttp://amzn.to/1oCuZmTrives or options listed that have long codes, let me know what those codes are..

After you put the hard drive as the first boot device, you will need to save settings and exit.

It looks like your hard drive has died though. The good news is, its a cheap replacement if thats the case.. For instance, this hard drive is compatible with your HP http://amzn.to/1oCuZmT

Thats a 1 terrabyte hard drive.

Hopefully though, when you change the boot order it will let you boot from your hard drive again.

If not, youll need to replace the hard drive. if you get stuck or have further questions let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no dice on the change to boot order. is the new hard drive difficult to install and get running?
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Its fairly simple.. The parts are made to be user removable. The most difficult part is reinstalling windows on the blank hard drive. As youd need a disk to do that..

This page shows the replacement process for a very similar model. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01761263

As far as windows 10.. Since its a free upgrade to windows 7 and 8.. You could save some money ( if you dont have a windows 7, 8 or 10 install disk ) by purchasing a copy of windows 7 here.

http://amzn.to/1Vxm54j

Thats about the lowest cost you will find a valid and full windows 7 install disk for sale, with a valid and working product key. Once installed. and once you download and install your drivers from HP again.. You will be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free.. You just have to get a copy of windows on the drive first~

Dustin S.