Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I had to replace my phone windows lumia 950. I need to get

Customer Question

I had to replace my phone windows lumia 950. I need to get the text messages off the old phone and onto the new phone. I have a windows live account. I know it says to turn on back up for messaging. I have backed up the old phone, i have backed up the new phone. HOw do I get the messages off the old one to the new one?
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had to replace my windows lumia 950 this evening. I have them both right now. I need to get the text messages off the old phone onto the new phone.I run a service business I have to have them by tomorrow morning.
I have backed up my phone through windows live acct. I have backed up the old phone and the new phone. Test messages are not syncing. I don't know hot to get them from one ph to the other.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

which app have you used to backup your old phone data?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
windows live account. update and security, back up. It's on the phone. I have not downloaded an app.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you tell me how to get the text messages off the old 950 onto the new 950?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

One of the few downsides of getting a new Windows Phone is having to migrate all the apps, games and settings of your old phone to your new. Many will be picking up the newLumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL and the process has gotten a lot easier than it used to be.

The process is no longer as cumbersome as it used to be with everything having to be manually reinstalled and set-up. With the Windows Phone Back-up feature, you can create a backup file for all your games, apps, email accounts, settings and text messages that can easily be restored or migrated to your new Windows Phone.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

The steps are straightforward.

• From your old Windows Phone (in my case the Lumia 830), go to your settings and scroll down to the Update+Backup section of the settings.
  • Here is where you can choose what gets backed up. So you have the most recent file available, go ahead and tap the Apps+Settings and Text Messages to back them up.
  • Images have the option of being backed up to your OneDrive and accessible from your new Windows Phone. Personally, I store my images on my microSD Card and simply move my card from Phone to Phone.

Once you've created a recent backup file for your Apps+Settings and/or Text Messages, go ahead and start the initial set-up for your new Windows Phone. At some point, you will be asked if you would like to restore a previous Windows Phone backup file. All that is needed is to pick your file, tap okay and sit back and relax.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

The restoration will adjust your new Windows Phone settings to match your old Windows Phone as best as possible. Just keep in mind that some of the settings on your old phone may not transfer over to your Windows 10 phone. The same is possible with your old apps and games.

The re installation will take a little time, but it is a lot easier than finding the app in the Windows Phone Store and manually re-install things one app at a time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you please tell me exactly how to get the text messages from the old 950 to the new one? I have already checked every back up, turned on every option to back up everything including text messages. but it is not working. "created a recent backup file for your Apps+Settings and/or Text Messages, go ahead and start the initial set-up for your new Windows Phone" He started the initial set up at the store. How do I start it again?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

give me few mins let me see if there is any app which will help in getting the texts out to your new phone from the old one.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

you have already tried the backup and restore options correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. I took my old ph and the new ph att sent me to the store. He put the sim card into the new ph and started the set up. He told me when I got home to use windows live to back up the text messages and then put them on the new phone!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He said to pt sim in old ph, turn on the back up, backup now, take the sim card out and put it in the new ph, then back up now. With windows live I am supposed to be able to back up the text messages. Ok, how do I get them onto the new phone?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If you aren't a windows phone expert, may I please have someone who is?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I run an emergency service business. I have to get this done asap. If you don't know how I can ask someone else.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Go to your message app, go to settings, and change the drop down to download messages from "any time"then re sync i am an android expert let me know if this has not worked i will open it to the windows phone expert.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is no message app. Please give me to a windows expert. Thank you for trying to help me. This really is an emergency.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you tell me how to start the initial set-up? I'll happily pay you for the help.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

In the new phone, you told it to backup now, which just created a backup, that does not restore it.

What you have to do is reset the new phone to new again, which wipes all the data from the new phone and returns it to new. You have to do this as you restore the backup file as part of setting up the phone. So first, make sure you have the backup file from the old phone ready.

Then on the new phone

Make sure your phone is turned off before beginning the process listed below.

• While your phone is completely shut off, hold down both the power button and the volume down button. (if your phone turns on, you need to repeat this process). This combo should be held for approximately 10 to 15 seconds until a vibration is felt.
  • After the vibration is felt, release the power button and keep holding the volume down button. You should now see an exclamation mark on your screen.
  • Now press the following key combinations: Volume up, Volume Down, Power Button, Volume Down.
  • Your phone will now reset itself to factory defaults.

go ahead and start the initial set-up for your new Windows Phone. At some point, you will be asked if you would like to restore a previous Windows Phone backup file. All that is needed is to pick your file, tap okay and the data, including the messages will be restored from the backup.

Let me know how you go please

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Can you come here to your question please