Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have 16 gb of ram but windows 7 is allocating 14 gb to

Customer Question

I have 16 gb of ram but windows 7 is allocating 14 gb to hardware and left me with 2gb to run the rest of the system; how do I change this memory allocation back to 2-3 gb for hardware and 13-14 gb for operation of system? I have not added any hard ware , only CHKDSKN run because IE11 kept hanging, and wanted to make sure file not corrupted.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Did you recently install the ram, or have you had it installed for a while?

If youve had it for a while, when is the last time you remember windows allocating it properly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
had it for a while since I installed machine> Wednesday before It was fine>
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Understood.

Heres my advice, lets try the simplest repair first. And we can undo this if we dont like the results.

Please press the windows key on your keyboard, or tap the "desktop" icon to go to your old fashioned windows desktop.

Then, hold down your windows key and press R ( The windows key is two keys to the left of your space-bar )

Then type in rstrui.exe and hit enter.. On the system restore screen,

Click, restore my computer to an earlier point, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started.

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will try that but right now i have another appointment will let you know tomorrow!
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Not a problem, whether this works or not please send a reply tomorrow.

If we need to try more targeted and specific steps, we can. But a system restore should work.

Keep me posted!

D.S