Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I just got my disks so that I can reload my system software.

Customer Question

I just got my disks so that I can reload my system software. I bought two sets because I have two identical Gateway pc's.
Both sets look the same. Does it matter which set I load on which pc?
Does reloading the system software delete any other files on the computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. It does not matter; you can use either set. Reloading the system software will delete all the programs (such as antivirus/security program, Microsoft Office / Word program, etc.) that you installed yourself previously, so you need to reinstall any program you want to use. And depending on your Gateway model, during the system recovery process, when prompted, you can select the option to restore operating system and retain your data, if shown; if not, you should cancel the process and back up your data first. But in any case, to be safe, I recommend to back up your data files first, i.e., to a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive before doing the recovery. If anything goes wrong with the recovery process, you would still have your own backup.

Do you have any further question for now? Please let me know. Thank you.