Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

Having issue with the 'disk checking' thing. Everytime I

Customer Question

Having issue with the 'disk checking' thing. Everytime I re-open it says it wants to check it. I let it go, and it goes through 53% and then stops.
How do I fix this?
So I have to do a cold boot and then click the 'cancel' button when it asks to recheck again.
I have an HP Pavilion - 4 years old, but a very high end one. Top of the line graphics, 2 terrabyte hard drive, 18" screen (laptop), 8 gig memory, etc.
I'm a software junkie. Tons of stuff on here. Software, videos, photos, documents, etc.
I do back it up to a hard drive, but haven't in a few months. Figure I better get that done soon.
Plus the internet seems very slow. Of course Mediacom blames it on my personal router, which I had to get because their router was so sucky it was unbelievable. The 'bars' show full, but when grandson plays games - high end ones - the ping rate is like a roller coaster which ruins the games. They don't take responsibility for that either.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 10 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

You can disable this disk check by following the instructions below on the computer:

- Hold down both the Windows key and the letter R at the same time.
- In the box that pops up, type: regedit
- Click the OK button

- Navigate to the following key in the left pane: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

- In the right hand pane, double click BootExecute.

- The default value of the key is autocheck autochk *

- Add: /K:C at the end before *. /K

It should look like the following: autocheck autochk /k:C *

- Click Ok after you make the changes and you will be all set.

I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.

I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.

I will be standing by,
Jason

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have to leave for the day but I will try this when I get home tonight.

So this means that it won't come up with that option anymore? does this mean that my computer is fine and doesn't need checking?

I always thought it didn't ask you to do that unless it needed it?

It says drives need checking for stability (not the right word but can't remember - maybe consistency?.

Just want to be sure I'm not disabling something that I need. But then again, it's obviously not working if it only goes through process 1 of 3, and 53%!

Being that it fails at 53%, you may wish to backup any data on the drive as that may be an indication that it has faulted sectors on the drive.

You can disable it without danger.