Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have blue screen nvstor.sys. tried to repair in safe mode

Customer Question

Hi. I have blue screen nvstor.sys. tried to repair in safe mode but never can get to start mode. It stops after it loads list of drivers...then eventually just goes back to the blue screen. Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

this is an issue with the storage control and its a concern if you cannot get in using safe mode.

If you choose Safe Mode Command Prompt, does it get you to a window you can type in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went on safe mode, it automatically loads windows system 32 drivers, and it stops and freezes and it says please wait and just went back to the error blue screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already answered that.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, but your saying safe mode, I am not referring to safe mode, I am referring to safe mode command prompt it is a different option.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did that "Safe Mode Command Prompt" selection and it did the same thing. It did not do anything.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

What exactly happened when you choose Safe Mode Command prompt? I need to know please, not being difficult but I need to make sure the instructions are being done correctly and exactly what happens.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hit enter on Safe Mode Command Prompt, then it starts showing windows 32 drivers, then its loading windows files, then it stopped, then it went back to the blue error screen.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
error on the blue screen refers to the driver : nvstor/sys
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** go back to the menu, choose Advance Boot Options, then choose Last Known Good Configuration

Tell me if this allows it to start please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
after doing that, my screen freezes on a microsoft corporation loading screen and then went back to a blue error screen
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, can you tell me the make and model of the computer please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's an HP Pavilion, OS is Windows Vista
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, the issue is either the motherboard has failed, or the windows installation is corrupted beyond repair.

To confirm this we will need to reinstall windows. If the reinstall works and the computer functions then it was the installation, else we know its the motherboard which would need to be replaced.

First though, this will remove all your data from the computer, so if you need to back up your data, in this situation, the only option is to remove the hard drive and put it into a different computer and try to copy the data directly via this. If your not able to do this, then you can have a computer store do this for you.

Once done, to do the reinstall of windows, you power off the computer. Then power it on and keep tapping on F11 until you get to the recovery manager, and then choose to do a factory restore, which will initiate the installation of windows.

If this fails to install then you will know that it was the motherboard and this would need to be replaced.