Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

I have an old Gateway Laptop that I really want to preserve.

Customer Question

I have an old Gateway Laptop that I really want to preserve. The body of it is pretty damaged. The hinges are broken, the screen does not work and a lot of the keyboard keys do not work. If I can buy a better condition laptop that is the exact same old model as this one, can I have the insides switched with my old laptop?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be happy to answer your question. First are you speaking of transferring the hard drive and memory to the other one that is in better condition. If that is the case then yes you can do that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

can i do it myself or should i take it to a professional computer place to do it for me.

Usually you can access the hard drive and memory from access doors on the bottom of the machine and simply remove and transfer to the other. However if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then yes you could have someone do it for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

if i try to do it myself. would it help if I emailed you pics of the bottom of the laptop to help me through it if needed? Is it really that easy just to swap out the hardrives? That way, I am basically just replacing the body of my old computer and the better condition laptop that I put my old hardrive in should work just as my old one did? Thanks.

You can do it that way but it is that simple you should not have any problems.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

here is a pic of the bottom of the laptop. Would you happen to know which door the harddrive is under?