Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

I just recently purchased a refurbished PC with Windows 7 on

Customer Question

Hello
I just recently purchased a refurbished PC with Windows 7 on it from Overstock.com. I've been getting the message to upgrade to Windows 10 but when I try it always asks me for a product key before it will activate it. All the product keys that I have with my PC are no longer active. Yesterday there was a "little key" down at the bottom of my screen and I clicked on it and I managed to get Windows 10 on my system but now it they want it to be activated and I'm not sure how I am supposed to do this.
Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. Was it prompting you to do this before windows 10 was installed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was just after Windows 10 was installed.

Usually when this happens it means that the previous version of windows may not have been activated. Have you restarted the machine since this has happened to see if it registers correctly? If it fails to do so windows may need to be reinstalled again so it's activated and then windows 10 reinstalled. Also what is the make and the model number of this machine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my system has been completed rebooted. The make and model of my machine is a Dell Optiplex 780 Intel Core II. It didn't come with any software when I purchased it. So the only windows that was on the machine was what was on it when it came from Overstock.com

I see, have you contacted them to get the hard copy of the recovery software that should come with it, if not you can actually have dell send you the software I believe it costs around $25 it would give you a registered copy of windows so you can do the windows 10 upgrade. Until then you can try and go back to what you had. It doesn't always work but sometimes this does. You would have to right click on the start button then go into control pane. Then click on backup and restore to windows 7. You should be able to follow from there. I would highly recommend getting the recovery software from dell.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay thank you.

You are welcome let me know if you have any further questions and please don't forget to use the rating system to leave positive feedback it's how we are compensated for our time and information try and have a good day.