Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming
74139101

Windows 10 new upgrade disabled my PC - HP-Compaq desktop

Customer Question

Windows 10 new upgrade disabled my PC - HP-Compaq desktop purchased in 2010
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.

What do you mean by disabled?

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A few days ago I downloaded the latest Windows 10 upgrade & as instructed I let it install prior to shutdown. Now when I try to start it the PC only beeps & does not even get to the boot up screen
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

How many times does it beep and are the beeps long or short?

After telling me how many beeps and their duration unplug absolutely everything except the keyboard and mouse if you have some plugged in, make sure there are no USB devices or CDs inserted then restart the computer.

Tell me what happens

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Everything is unplugged save for mouse & keyboard. Two beeps - first short & second beep counts to 5 seconds
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, thought my message had sent but I must have forgot to click Send.

Here's what I wrote:

Hmm sounds like a memory problem - do you know how to remove the memory (RAM) ?

Basically what you have to do is open the PC (while it's off and unplugged), remove the RAM and then put it back in.

Once that's done turn the computer back on and tell me what it does.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The PC booted up with no beeps & could hear the hard drive whirring. Removed & resnapped in all 4 memory sticks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Plugged in the monitor & it allowed me to get into the Windows environment. Have 286 of 290 megabytes consumed so memory issue it is it seems
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Great to hear you were able to get back in!

If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you're happy with the service I'm providing so far feel free to click on one of the 5 stars above followed by Finish as it would be greatly appreciated!

Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.

Regards,