Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I keep getting a pop up that says I have a virus. Tell me

Customer Question

I keep getting a pop up that says I have a virus. Tell me what to do or who to call.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message?

Does it let you shut down / restart the computer or not?

What's the model of your computer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Can you please try this first troubleshooting: Press and hold the Power on / off button on the computer for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on and check.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Forget it can shut down and get back in. same message comes up from Microsoft. I paid $129.00 for support I can't get into. I have an Acer computer.

It was a scam; that just wanted your money. Never follow any instruction in any popup message window that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

I will troubleshoot this issue for you. So you shut down the computer, then you turn on the computer, then does the virus popup appear right away?

Or does it happen only if you open a particular program first?

You should contact your bank / credit card company to report fraud about the big charge $129.

In the future, please always ignore any popup message window or email message or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

Your Acer computer has Windows 7 right?

- Can you please press and hold the Power On / Off button on the Acer computer for about 10 seconds. Then turn it back on, then don't click on anything yet, then what happens?

I will walk through the troubleshooting steps with you. I guarantee to fix this issue for you. Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.