Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I just noticed that the US/DS light on my modem is blinking,

Customer Question

I just noticed that the US/DS light on my modem is blinking, can you tell me what the problem can be. I'm just concerned because there was a message left on my phone yesterday stating "Your computer is generatng some serious errors/warnings ... please press 1 to speak to a Microsoft certified engineer. They left no name indicating "who" they were.
Thank you for your help.
Sandra Bizik
8771 10(###) ###-####
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome Sandra

The US/DS blinking is normal, it means its getting and transmitting data.

But the phone call was a scam. Its compaines usually based in India that will call you pretending to be Microsoft, indicating you have errors, and they they want to fix this for you.

They then ask for access to your computer and obtain access to your PC trying to both steal data and make unauthorised charges to your credit card.

Microsoft will never call you like this.

I advise you, if they call back (and they likely will) to tell them you know they are a scam, and hang up. This should limit them calling you again.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you