Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

I have an Acer 91091 i5. Not even a year passed before it

Customer Question

I have an Acer 91091 i5.
Not even a year passed before it became slow. Now it is taking 30 secs. to a minute or more to open, save, etc. a file. I have removed all my files from this computer and it there is no difference.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I can check on this for you with a remote screen connect session. Are you chatting with me now on the Acer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, I will send you the screen connect info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid $38. I thought this would cover the cost..

The remote session is an additional service that requires a screen connect service. The extra cost covers the session and software used during the tune up. I can give you some things to do and software to run on your own if you prefer.

Im sorry about the additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about we start with that? My Trend Micro has scanned for Trojans, etc. and optimised my laptop

okay, sounds good. Give me a moment to upload the info for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just asking what is probably a 'dumb' answer, but don't want to be caught out. I understand that the $38 was a one off, not a monthly subscription? I bought something on a one off once, and somehow found myself caught up in a subscription where they kept taking money from my account and sending me their product, which I didn't want any more of.

That sounds right, however I do not have any access to your account. There is no way of me knowing the details. Sorry.

This actually may be all you need since you already have Trend Micro subscription. a refresh of your Windows 8.x system may be all you need, if the refresh does not get it all corrected, then do the reset., go to Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery. Then under "Refresh your PC without affecting your files," click the Get started button.

To do a PC Reset, click the Get Started button under "Remove everything and reinstall Windows." Start with the first option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am interstate so will not have access to a lot of the re-installs... can this be achieved any other way?

okay,

search for cmd in the Modern environment, then under the results right-click Command Prompt and select to run as administrator.

Then type in the following commands in succession:

mkdir C:\RefreshImage and hit Enter.

recimg -CreateImage C:\RefreshImage and hit Enter.

Windows first creates a snapshot of the recovery image and, after it's created, Windows starts writing the recovery image.

It can take several hours for Windows to write the recovery image depending on your computer's hardware.

To verify the image creation was successful, navigate to the directory you created, C:\Refreshimage and you'll see the image file stored there.

Then run PC Refresh or PC Reset and everything should work just fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is 'the modern environment'?

The tiles,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came up with an error:
"Error:This application should be run with administrator privileges. Open an elevated prompt and try again"

okay, are you signed in as the admin now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to appear stupid, but how?

Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage User Accounts. If you're prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I don't know the password?
It is going to take 24 hours to recover the information from Microsoft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, they said it would, but has come through. Password ***** ...

That's good. It is usually not that quick.

did that work for you?

Please let me know if you need more help.