Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My x553sa keyboard is locked. Mouse will move around the log

Customer Question

My x553sa keyboard is locked. Mouse will move around the log in screen but no letters or numbers. Any thoughts?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it have Windows xp, vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

Do you have a (desktop) USB keyboard to test?

Please try:

Solution #1:

- Press and hold power cord / charger from laptop, then shut down the laptop (if needed, press and hold power button for about 10 seconds to power off)

, and remove the battery, if possible, at the back of the laptop for a few minutes, then reinstall, then turn on and check.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Battery not removable. Ive tried powering off and back on with no change. It is running windows 10

Sorry, when did this issue first occur?

Does the mouse let you click on things / open anything?

Thank you.

Solution #2:

- After logging in, press and hold the Shift key on the keyboard for about 10 to 15 seconds, then see if it works. If needed, turn off Filter Keys if shown, then check.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can click and get a cursor. But cant log in due to not being able to put password ***** from the keyboard. I think i have a usb keyboard i can get in a while and try that

- At login screen, press and hold the Shift key on the keyboard for about 10 to 15 seconds, then see if it works.

- If no, can you click on the Ease of Access icon at bottom right, then click on option On-Screen Keyboard, then see if you can use the on-screen keyboard to enter password, and sign in.

Please let me know . Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok...ill try that. I have to run back to work for an hour so ill let you know as soon as i try it.

OK, please reply at this web page later. Thank you.

Please let me know if you are back tonight. Otherwise, we can continue tomorrow. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately it will have to be the morning. But ill be sure to use this same thread to contact you.

Sorry, can we continue in the afternoon (PST time) or later tomorrow? I will also provide some more solutions tonight you can try tomorrow. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The afternoon will be just fine.

OK, I'll also write some more solutions first.

Solution #1:

- If that does not work, and if the On-Screen Keyboard or the USB keyboard lets you sign in, then please try each of the solutions below until it works:

Solution #2:

- After signing in, press and hold the Shift key on the keyboard for about 10 to 15 seconds, then see if it works. If needed, turn off Filter Keys if shown, then check.

Solution #3:

- Check if there is any stuck key on the keyboard.

Solution #4:

- Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK

, then the Control Panel window should open

, then open Ease of Access / Ease of Access Center,

, then open the item Make the keyboard easier to use

, then make sure all all the boxes are unchecked for the following items: Turn on Filter Keys , Turn on Sticky Keys , Turn on Mouse Keys and Turn on Toggle Keys.

, then click on Apply / OK at the bottom, and check.

- If needed, go to Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center -> Make the keyboard easier to use -> Setup Filter Keys (located below "Turn on Filter Keys"), then then uncheck the box at the option Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds, then click OK / OK, and check.

Solution #5:

- Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type devmgmt.msc then click OK

, then the Device Manager window should open

, then double-click on the option Keyboards in order to open / expand it

, then right-click on the laptop's keyboard item below it, and click on Uninstall, and confirm Yes (Note: Do not check the box to Delete the driver software.)

, then restart the laptop, and check.

Tomorrow, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

If you still need help with this issue or with anything else, please reply at the box below, so I can help further; I will look for more solutions as needed. If everything is fine, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much,