Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

When logging off my laptop i got a message "do not power off

Customer Question

When logging off my laptop i got a message "do not power off or unplug your machine update 1 of on1". The mouse keeps spinning but doesnt make any progress. Its been stck like this for days.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your computer.

Push and hold down the power button for 15 seconds and once it powered off wait for 3 mins and then power it back on.

The windows update has basically frozen the computer follow the steps and after turning it back on you will be back on your normal windows screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You didnt really answer the question. not satified with the answer

Did you follow the steps i gave you sir. I will make sure you are satisfied with our service.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not a sir excuse meYou didnt give me any steps except a hard shut down which i should not have to do. Your answer is not satisfactory
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess its time to switch to Apple

I believe the problem is resolved and you are telling me if you have follow the steps or not. What steps do you want to run on a frozen computer till we do not shut down and restart it back Let me know if any one can run any command on a frozen screen as you want.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No its not. I want my money back
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its not frozen. The computer is having an issue with installing its updates
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It spacifically said dont shut down computer

I will open the question on the open pool for other experts you will get a reply from any one once they reply.

On your question you clearly said your pc is frozen on update screen and not mentioned issue with installing its updates or errors.

Your question posted with us:

"When logging off my laptop i got a message "do not power off or unplug your machine update 1 of on1". The mouse keeps spinning but doesnt make any progress. Its been stck like this for days".

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
D you read the message. I said nothing about a pc being frozen. It told me not to power off and you tell me to do a hard shut down. That doesnt make sense.
Expert:  Cody replied 10 months ago.

The previous expert is correct in saying you do need to power off the computer and turn it back on.

We can then troubleshoot the issue for the Windows update that was hung.

The screen you're describing happens during Windows updates sometimes where it gets stuck on an update and will just sit there until you break the infinite loop by powering it off and back on. This will not hurt the computer in anyway, we need to break the cycle it's currently in to troubleshoot further.

Expert:  Cody replied 10 months ago.

Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did a hard shut down and it did it again s couple days later. Is there anything that can be done about it? Is the computer still getting itsupdate a if I have to do hard shut down every time?
Expert:  Cody replied 10 months ago.

You can look in update history to see if it's failing on same update or not.

If it is, try downloading the update manually.

Right click computer --> properties --> windows update --> view update history.

Expert:  Cody replied 10 months ago.