Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I am a photographer with reasonable camera skills but with

Customer Question

I am a photographer with reasonable camera skills but with very little computer skills.
I have an IMac Version 10.11 .2 . The iMac hard drive has a relatively small amount of
my photographs on it, the majority are on a Drobo hard drive. The work on the Drobo is
not backed up. The Drobo has about 2+ TB on it. I believe I need a portable device with about 4TB to 5TB capacity .I would like a device that continually takes my imports and
keeps current, backing up the Drobo. So if the Drobo fails my Lightroom images will
be on the new device as they were on the Drobo before it fails.LaCie has been recommended
Can you help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 10 months ago.

this article might be of some help to you

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/12/best-external-hard-drive-for-mac-ios/

the lacie would work as would a bunch of others.

you can use the apple time machine to keep the backups going so that function is not really part of the decision. Its mostly speed, cost, size of storage and physical size, and reliability and the above article covers all of that for half a dozen hard drives.