Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I purchased a refurbished HP laptop recently. When it booted

Customer Question

I purchased a refurbished HP laptop recently. When it booted up, it automatically installed Windows 10 from Window 7. After much research and unsuccessful attempts to activate or install a wireless interconnection, I gave the command to reset Windows 10. During the process it, apparently, hung up with the "one moment please" message displayed, which didn't change for over 24 hours. I cold rebooted and made numerous attempts to get to the sign-in screen for the last several days. How can I fix this problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

First off, while at the screen where it's hung up, please press and HOLD down the Power button for atleast 30 seconds (even after the screen has turned off), and then release the button.

Next, press the Power button one more time to turn the laptop back on - does it boot up all right this time?

Please reply back to me below. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

Please disregard any phone call offer if it shows up on your screen, and reply back to me below; thanks.

Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

If you need any further assistance with this issue, please be sure to reply back using the box below.

Otherwise, if you could kindly click on (and submit) one of the star buttons at the top of this page to rate my service, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I does not boot up, only displays the "just a moment" message, as it has the prior numerous times I have done this.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Other times I have done this reboot, I have waited several hours between attempts.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

Hmm, I see. Now, please restart the laptop one more time, and then tap the F11 key repeatedly right after it boots up, at the HP logo. Does this bring up a recovery screen/window, by any chance?

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After shutting down and waiting a minute or so, then pushing the power button, the computer immediately displays the "just a moment" message. Pushing the F11 key repeatedly has no effect.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

Okay. Now, please remove the battery from the back of the laptop, and disconnect the power adapter as well.

Done that, HOLD down the Power button for atleast 30 seconds, and release the button.

Connect just the power adapter after that, and press the Power button - what shows up this time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing happens after I do the steps you listed. No lights come on anywhere and nothing happens.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

Did you connect back the power adapter this time, before pressing the Power button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

OK; connect the battery as well now, and then press the Power button one more time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I made sure it was firmly fastened.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

Please go ahead and connect the battery now, and then press the Power button - what shows up now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The ***** *****ght on the front, right edge on the computer flashes for awhile. Nothing else appears to happen.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

That's odd; this indicates a hardware issue with the laptop (which might have been contributing to the stuck screen earlier as well.)

Please go ahead and carry out the same steps one more time; disconnect battery and charger, and hold down the Power button for atleast 60 seconds this time, and then plug in the charger and press the Power button one more time. Does this make any difference to the issue?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I held the power button down for well over 60 seconds, timing it. Without the battery replaced, I did not get any response by pressing the power button and only the blinking light with the battery replaced. It was the same as before.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

OK; this most definitely indicates a motherboard issue here - the screen was stuck earlier because the motherboard failed while resetting the laptop, and after doing a hard reboot as we just did, it simply failed to boot back up because it was unable to read from the motherboard.

Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

I'm not sure if this issue can be fixable here - would you like me to open up the question to our other experts who might be able to assist further?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, thanks for the help. I will attempt to get a replacement computer from the company I purchased it from.
Expert:  Barun replied 10 months ago.

Okay, no problem; I'll close out this question for you now - if you could kindly take a moment to click on a star at the top of this page to rate my service, that would be much appreciated. Thanks again.