Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

When I first put my USB flash drive into a Windows computer

Customer Question

When I first put my USB flash drive into a Windows computer it shows in "This PC" and indicates that there is 11.2 GB free out of 30.4 GB. When I click to open it says "This folder is empty". On a mac, the USB doesn't show in finder, but does briefly show in Disk Utility when I first plug it in to the port. It disappears shortly after I plug it in though. I am unable to mount the disk or verify/repair it. Everything is greyed out. On a windows machine it says that "Windows cannot access disk" when I try to scan it. What is wrong with my usb flash drive? Can I regain access to my files?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 10 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I'm fairly certain that this is an issue with my usb drive. I may just take it to a usb flash drive recovery specialist.

I can recover it if needed. Most times, it is a virus problem.

You just connect it to your windows system and give me remote access to that system. I will do the rest. The USB is not working on the MAC because it is in a windows only format.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I only borrowed the windows computer to try the USB on it. I've always used the USB on my mac prior to this issue.

Okay, did you try a different Mac system ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
as I said in the original question, I tried the USB on two different Mac computers.