Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I messed up my user settings and when I shut down I can no

Customer Question

I messed up my user settings and when I shut down I can no longer log in to my computer. It says Suppport and asks for a password? HELP!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

When you say support, you mean the user account says this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have a limited amount of time. Can you reply faster?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, you have created this account some how, and the solution may take some time depending on if you have data on the computer you need to keep.

Do you have data on the computer you need to save?

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am still here. Yes I have data I need to save
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

whats the make and model of the computer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dell Core 2 Duo
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, overall you have three options here which I will list out. As this is security, there is no simple solution, but any of these three options will work, it will just depend on how commfortable you feel doing them.

1)Reinstall the computer. This means you reinstall windows but lose all your data on the computer. It is not ideal, but the easiest way to do this.

Turn on the computer.
As the computer starts, press F8 on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
You must press before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
Press the Down Arrow on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press < Enter >.
Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
Click Next.
The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

as you indicated you have data you wish to keep then the bottom two solutions apply to you

2) Take it to a computer store, have them take out the hard drive and copy out your data to another disk. Then the reinstall can be done and you wont lose your data. Programs you have to install again.

3) This is the most complex solution, but it will mean you will not lose your data or programs and can do this yourself

Save this file to your computer

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/cd140201.zip

After downloading the ZIP file, locate it and double-click on it. Select "Extract All." Extract the files to the same folder the ZIP file is in.

The .ISO file is a CD image file used to create a bootable CD. The file must be burned as a bootable CD - not as a data file - to a CD. If you don't know how to do this, the simplest method is to download the freeware ISO burner at the link below:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Choose the appropriate version for your system (at present, version 3.1 for Windows Vista and Windows 7.) Download the installation file to a convenient folder. After downloading it, right-click on the file and select "Install." Now go back to the .ISO file, right-click on it, and select "Copy image to CD."

After burning the bootable CD, put it in your problem computer and restart the computer. Tap anykey to have the disk load.

Follow the instructions given on the screen to change the password ***** the target account.

This video shows you how to do the instructions I explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnV5SM7iS0

After completing the reset procedure, remove the CD from the drive and restart the system. The password ***** the target account is now set to whatever you chose.

You will have to do one of these three options to get access to the computer again.

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How can I do step 3 when I can't even get on the computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

As your starting from a disk. Can you go through the complete instructions I gave please, even watch the video if needed as this explains how to do this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not satisfied with the help you provided and do not give you permission to charge my card.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, can you please explain what is not satisfying as I have provided every option you have.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

you also need to speak to customer service about billing.