Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I am part of a volunteer group creating an event where we

Customer Question

I am part of a volunteer group creating an event where we will need a few hundred participants to be registered into database, or spreadsheet, for tracking and verification purposes.
Our volume has gotten to the point where we will need anywhere from 2-4 users inputting this data into a single database, or at least referencing an ID number to easily record data later, without having any repeat ID numbers, and without creating gaps in our ID numbers caused by one user inputting more people than the next user. What would be the best way to do this?
My knowledge of Excel is above average, VBA is mediocre, and Access is pretty basic. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

For sure you will want to use Access for this. It handles record locking so multiple people can access and input / reference data, and it provides automatic ID creation so you can use ID references for records. It generates these automatically for you when setup to do so.

I would recommend looking at this guide to get you started

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Create-an-Access-database-9458C8AB-E8E4-40AD-BB03-7B5EBDA9DD26

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you