Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

My name is ***** ***** I have lots of dots on my screen

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** I have lots of white dots on my screen model wd-c657 c series
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just the screen keeps getting more and more white dots
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The lamp would not cause this issue.

What you are experiencing is symptomatic of failure of the DLP chip. This is a very common problem with all DLP based tvs. What is happening is that DLP chip, which contains millions of tiny actuated mirrors, starts to freeze up. Those "stuck" mirrors result in a white pixel on the screen. They cannot be unstuck or repaired, the entire dlp chip has to be replaced. You will continue to get more and more dots appearing, until they cover the screen.

There are many blogs and youtube videos detailing the process, if you're inclined to do it yourself, though I would not attempt it unless you are skilled and experienced with electronics repairs – you can easily do more harm than good. It is about a $200 part. If you have a local tv tech out to do it, figure on around $300-400 total for the repair.

Even though it is past the warranty period, it is also worth a call to mitsubishi. Because this was such a common problem, they will often offer to cover the cost of the part, if you pay the labor costs.

If you'd like, I can help with finding the part, finding a repair shop, or even recommending replacement models if you'd prefer to go with a new tv instead.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.