Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CISCO certified, Microsoft proficient, computing expert.
30970729

My HP Laptop(HP 2000 Notebook) has a broken screen and it

Customer Question

My HP Laptop(HP 2000 Notebook) has a broken screen and it used to use my monitor as a display. I upgraded to Win 10 and now it wont use my monitor as a display anymore. What can i do to remedy this issue. I have both VGA and HDMI ports.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jeremy,

try pressing the Windows button and the P key together until you select Duplicate or Second Screen Only, if you are able to see your broken display at all... if you cannot see it then you will need to guess how many times to press the P key to change between the different options.

If that doesn't work, then hopefully your broken screen is still giving you a partial image to allow you to check if the graphics driver needs updating, and if the external display is being detected in Device Manager.

Reply back and let me know how you get on...

Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's how i had gotten it to work originally when the OS was windows 8. The issue started only after i upgraded to WIN 10. Now i dont think the windows key + P button thing works anymore.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

The same keys should work in Windows 10 once logged in.

Can you see the old display at all?

You could also try plugging in an external keyboard.