Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I was away from home from Nov. 11, 2015 to January 5, 2016

Customer Question

I was away from home from Nov. 11, 2015 to January 5, 2016 and during that time my HP7520 printer at home was not used. Upon my return, it does not work. I keep getting the following messages: "Cartridges might not have enough ink." I knew that the yellow cartridge needed replacing before I left home, so it has now been replaced. But then I get other messages: "Genuine HP ink cartridges installed"; "Printer Preparation"; "There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists, contact HP". So that's the status. Could you help me solve the problem? Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Please let me know that while the printer was not being used were the ink cartridges installed in the printer or you had removed them from the printer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had left them in the computer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is very confusing. Talk or type, either is OK.

if you are getting options for call or remote access, dont worry those are just additional service options ..you can ignore them..we will continue on this chat as you stated above

there is a possibility of printhead getting clogged causing the problem

its always recommended to remove and tore ink safely if printer is not going to be used for few months as if ink stays in, it will dry within the head and clog the printhead

lets try cleaning the printhead

follow the steps i will list below

from apple menu, click on preferences..printers..select the hp printer..click on options and supplies

under utilities you should get an option for head cleaning

click on it to initiate head cleaning

let me know once done

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I can follow your written directions .

yes please follow the steps i have listed above and let me know once done

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It says "Ink System Failure " - "cartridges are low." "Please resolve the error condition for the device and try again." So I will replace all the cartridges.....I just opened the top and the cartridge carrier did not move to the usual position so that I can reach the cartridges.

does the printer give an error code starting with a 0x or 0c as well

the ink system failure error message indicates a fault with the printhead

let me know that do you have a red eye removal button on the printer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't see any red eye removal button on the printer.

please follow these steps

Press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both.

Then enter '123' to enter maintenance mode.

press the right arrow to navigate to System Config. menu .

Then press OK two times to clear the error .... then cancel two or three times to return to the top menu. Then power off theunit and back on

if the error repeats follow this next set of steps

Turn off the unit...unplug the power cord...now take out the print cartridges....clean the golden contacts of the cartridges and the carriage assembly\ printhead with a cotton swab dipped in little alcohol
wait for 2-3 minutes.....
now reinsert the cartridges and turn unit back on and check if you still get the same error or not

let me know the status and i will suggest further

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I will try that. Every time I turn it off, it tells me I have shut it down improperly.

no problems with that shutdown message

try the steps and let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I have just unplugged it. I will now proceed to remove the cartridges and clean them as well as the printhead. I may need further directions on exactly how to do this....

use a cotton swab and few drops of alcohol on the swab

now clean the golden copper contact on the ink cartridge

also clean the nozzles from which ink comes out on the printhead and ink cartridge

clean them ensuring they are not clogged with dry ink

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now my problem is - the cartridge holder is not accessible.

turn on printer..remove cartridges and printhead and then turn off printer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Remove the printhead too? I assume that means to press the handle on the right side and it will eject?

yes that is correct

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I have removed all the cartridges and the printhead and will proceed with unplugging the printer and cleaning.I have done that and noticed there is a lot of ink on the bottom of the printhead. I cleaned it off as well as I could.

great..now turn on printer and reinsert ink and head and check

let me know if error repeats or goes off

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Took some time....but it still says, "Missing or failed printhead...appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed."

got it...there seems to be a problem with the printhead itself

can you tell me how old is this printer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have noticed that every time I open the printer, the plate with directions grows dim and blinks. That has never happened before.
I got the printer in December 2013.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Printer has a 2-year warranty.

that could be due to the error condition

since the ink was in while the printer was not being used that could have caused the printhead to be clogged

further the error too indicates a problem with printhead

in such a case the printhead would need to be replaced

if the unit has a 2 year warranty that would have ended dec'15

still check on the warranty documentation if you have it ending dec or jan

if its covered within warranty, you can contact HP and get the printer serviced for printhead replacement

else if its out of warranty, you may either buy a printhead from HP and replace it yourself or can get it done through them at a service charge

the printhead part would come with replacement instructions

i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work again

let me know if you have any questions

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I thought I was dealing with HP Customer Service. Can I get a copy of this, my conference with you?

yes you have the just answer email in your email inbox ..you can open it anytime and click on view response and this chat page will open

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, Michelle. I think I will re-try the first instructions you gave me, i.e. cleaning the printhead, just in case it might work since I cleaned it. Thanks.

sure you may try the entire set of steps once more

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It didn't work....I didn't have the replacement for the photo cartridge. Would that have any effect on the outcome?

no if cartridge was missing the error would be cartridge missing

but if its giving a printhead error, then the fault lies with the printhead

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I appreciate your expertise and patience....will give you a good rating!

you are welcome

Thanks for choosing just answer

you may click on stars on top of the page to complete the rating