Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3878 notebook. I

Customer Question

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3878 notebook. I currently use a Del Inspiron 1545 notebook, that I've used daily since 2009.
1. What are the steps necessary to backup existing data on the 1545, and then move current useful data and program software to the new machine?
2. I have used up 195GB of data and software. How can I determine how much of this is data?
I have a 1TB external drive, plus 5 8.5GB DVD-R discs.
3. What are the steps necessary to archive old data, and then backup data I plan to transfer to new PC?
I will still use the older PC for personal activities, so I'm not removing any current data or application software.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

I apologize. I was in the middle of answering another question and the screen switched to yours. I will opt out and place your question back in the que for the next availble expert while I continue working with the client. Thank you for your patience!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

doesnt appear that Im in cue now. Can you help somehow?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

I am terribly sorry for your wait. Unfortunately I am still assisting another client. I assure you that your question is in que. If I complete the task that I am working on before I have to log out I will be happy to help you. It will take quite a bit of tiem to answer as you it has several components.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

the best way to do that is not to attempt to transfer programs to the new machine but rather just re install them from the original disk or download them again

the data itself is the only thing that can not be recreated and has to be transferred

to do that the simplest way is to know where it is

most people have all or almost all of their data in one folder or another under the documents or my documents folder

you can just right click on the documents folder and select properties to see how much is there

or even easier is to just right click on it and select copy

then paste it into a folder in the external drive that you have

hook up the external drive to the new computer and copy it to the documents folder there

you can even copy it through the network if you have both connected to the same internet router.

I can get you my phone number and speak to you that way in more depth or even log in remotely to work on it with you if you want to pay a little bit extra. But i wont be able to actually do the copying with you until tomorrow as i am heading out pretty soon tonight