Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Gateway laptop, i can not get old drive or new hard

Customer Question

I have a Gateway laptop, i can not get old drive or new hard drive to except windows on
a reboot. Windows goes through complete installation, then it tells me to in stall hard drive, some times it says i am missing NTLDR or i get a long beep. I am installing from
my cd drive from set up. Does the new drive have to be fomatted it is a Seagate 320 gb
Yes the PC is about 7 years old. Thank you for any advice you have. I check for loose
connections or loose hard drive. Some one told me to type in attlib+htsC:\ntldr. Pc wil
not allow me to type any thing in.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. You don't need to format the drive prior to install as Windows will take care of that part for you. Please follow the instruction here to perform a clean install of

Windows XP. If there is a problem with the hard drive you'll find out doing it this way.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm