Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

After installed Windows 10 update two nights ago I lost

Customer Question

After installed Windows 10 update two nights ago I lost internet connection last night I did trouble shooting but it says one or more protocols are missing so I searched internet for solutions and found a video for fixing this problem which was to go to command prompt and if not successful then go to registry and I did all that but problems are not fixed that is why I am coming to you guys seeking help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

what kind of connection do you have? is it wireless or do you have an ethernet cable

when you say windows 10 update do you mean you converted from windows 7 or 8 to win 10 or that you had win 10 and did one of their normal updates

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed win 10 a while back but a couple of nights ago there was a massive update for Windows 10 my connection is wireless but at this moment I connect to both wire and wireless
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

the easiest thing to do is a system restore to before the update

System restore instructions - windows 7 8 10

hold the windows logo key and hit R
in the box that appears type

rstrui.exe

hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settings box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am restoring systems to a previous time point but it has been almost a one hour now and my computer is still restoring . is it normal?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

possible. I have had them take a few hours on occasion. but 5 or 10 minutes is much more common.

if the bar is moving or it is making sounds like the hard drive is moving or flashing the disk access light than it is still working.

If its not doing anything at all and you are sure it is frozen than it probably is and you would have to hold the power button in till it turns off and then start it up and try it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer is still restoring its taking way to long (more than two hours now)I am turning it off and start again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I can't get my computer started it says on the screen "preparing automatic repair " and then the entire screen blacked out and I am still waiting for the screen to come back. What did I do wrong
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I don't think you did anything wrong. probably the update screwed some stuff up and it was like a cascade effect. those things screwed up the restore and the restore dying screwed up something else.

try turning it off and leaving it for a few minutes then turning it on again

but if you think its running let it run.

I am leaving for the day. I will be here tomorrow if thats ok

or i can opt out and see if somebody else wants to work with you

If you can get it to the login screen even we can do something but if it wont start its going to be a long road to get it going again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you can get someone else to help me that 'll be great .tomorrow I'll be working or can I get you guys remotely control my computer and fix it that way
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

all i can do is opt out. if nobody picks up i can get you tomorrow. to do the remote it has to be running though

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What time are you starting tomorrow
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

probably between 10 and 12 CST

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be working then. I 've just noticed you already got someone else to help me thanks
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

all i did was opt out. if somebody else picked up thats fine

if nothing works or you dont get help post back and i will look in when i am online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen has come back can we do remotely control fixing now
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

yes we can do it today i just need you to accept the offer for additional service and i can get you my phone number and a remote link and we can pick a time that works for you.