Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

When I tried to log into my desktop computer there is a

Customer Question

When I tried to log into my desktop computer there is a message saying that it did not start correctly and do I want to restart and make an automatic repair. I tried that it it comes back to the same thing each time
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** GeekGirl :). Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. Please keep in mind as we work together that it often takes more several steps and/or answers to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied. If I am unable to solve your problem, I will open it up to another expert who may be able to help. Your satisfaction is my top priority!

Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

I will need a little bit more information in order to help. Can you tell me what version of windows you are running and what type of computer you have please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am using a Lenovo with Windows 10
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. May I ask, did it come with Windows 10 or did you recently upgrade to Windows 10? Would you like a phone call so I can walk you through the process of trying to start it in safe mode and restore to an earlier time when it was working correctly?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was updated in October to Windows 10
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a few moments to complete my detailed instructions for resolving this issue.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Are you familiar with how to restart your computer in safe mode? Is this a laptop or desktop. Do you see a model # ***** on it? For example, mine is a laptop and on the black plastic surrounding the screen, in the bottom left it say T30. if it is a desktop there should be a sticker on the side or the back of the computer.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

You may see the option for safe mode on the same screen that gives you the option to restart and make an automatic repair. If so, you can select it from there. If not, the information that I requested will help me determine the best way to get you into safe mode. Once we are in safe mode, we should be able to do a system restore to the last backup BEFORE the problem began.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a Lenovo, Machine Type 10142, Product Family IdeaCentre Flex 20
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Do you see the option for safe mode on the same screen that gives you the option to restart?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No there is not an option for that, only to restart it
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

ok. ty.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

I am so sorry but I am not finding any way to get into safe mood unless you are already logged into the computer. I will continue to try. I am sure there is away. The link below will show you you what we are up against. Please note that every method listed requires that we at least make it to the login screen.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Would you like for me to keep working on this or would you prefer that I open it up to experts? If I am going to keep working on it I will need to shut my laptop down and try several different key combinations and methods, so I will be offline for a bit. What is your preference?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

can you get to the login screen ?

if you can do that you can click on the shutdown options button and

HOLD THE SHIFT KEY DOWN while selecting restart

that will give you some further options

you can try the system restore command

or you can have it boot to safe mode from there

otherwise you can create a win 10 install flash drive on another computer and boot from that.

but to do so you might have to change the boot options in the uefi bios

Use the create tool now button further down on the link here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10