Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I am in the process of upating my computer from HP windows

Customer Question

I am in the process of upating my computer from HP windows Vista to An HP with Windows 10 - my problem being that I am having issues with my passwords and a match to my sign in on MSN my Email address and password ***** not seem to be a sign in match - I have been trying all day today and part of yesterday an cannot seem to come up with a compatible match to sign on in either computer HELP NEEDED
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Just to clarify, what's the MSN email address that shows up on your Windows 10 logon screen?

Please reply back using the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem seems to be that at some time or other I have become mixed up with my windows security and i need matching passwords and pin numbers that as I understand will sign me on to all windows functions - it seems some of my old passwords an pin numbers are coming back to haunt me
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

That's all right; could you let me know what's the email address that shows up on your Windows 10 logon screen now?

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay; looking up the account now - allow me just a moment, please.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Now, do you have a cellphone number ending with -37? If so, could you let me know the last four digits of that cellphone number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the e-mail address I have been using for years is***@******.***
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I see. Now, do you have a cellphone number ending with -37? If so, could you let me know the last four digits of that cellphone number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cell phone is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK; you should receive an automated call on this number in a moment. Please make a note of the code it provides over the call, and let me know the code so that I can confirm your identity accordingly. Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

If you were unable to note down the code (or did not receive any call), no issues - please let me know and I'll have another call placed to you now. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I would this method at this time - I have a very good friend in th hospital and I do not want to block up either line at the moment as I am expecting calls
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

No issues, you should receive a text message instead with the verification code now. Please let me know what that code is, and I'll go ahead and reset your Windows account password ***** Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, did you receive any code via text message now? If so, could you let me know what's the code you received, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have recieve two codes and have no ideal what todo with them HK2S and Z774 ????????????????????????????
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, perfect - I need those codes to verify your identity and reset the Windows account password ***** you. Please let me know the FULL codes you received, and we will continue further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not recieved any other codes or full codes as you say?????????????????/
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK; did you receive a 7-digit numeric code via text message a few minutes earlier? I need that code to proceed further. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry nothing
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Let me send you another text message now. Please check, and let me know.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive the new text message?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

You should receive an automated call on your cellphone now. Please receive that call, make a note of the code it provides you with, and then hang up the call and reply back with the code provided.

This is the only way that I'll be able to verify your identity and reset the Windows password ***** you accordingly. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No new message Only recieved two messages one each with those two codes you already have- just recieved a phone call I need to go to hospital - will get back to you in about an hour 0- please leave open
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Will do. Bye.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am back should not be interupted forvawhile
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

No issues; let me have an automated call placed to you now. Please receive that call, make a note of the 7-digit code provided during the call, and let me know the code provided. One moment, please.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive the call?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thomas! am not getting anything I have not recieved any codes or whatevsver what now - are you using my cell phone it is blocked for texting my land line is(###) ###-####but I would just as soon be on Email as i do not hear that well and my cell phone doe not have a speaker phone
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I see; you just need to receive an automated call once to get the code via the call, after which I'll be able to reset the password ***** your Windows account accordingly. Testing with your landline number now; please receive any call you get on there now. Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Alternatively; please check your email account now - I have sent a security code to that account now as well. Once you get the code, please reply back on here with the code you received, and we will proceed further.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Check your***@******.*** email account now, please - I have sent a code to that account now. Let me know what's the code you received; thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
B. Rath I just recieved a phone call from a lady and she gave me a number anad avised it was a code # what does it do? is this used in conjunction with my email***@******.*** or the second address that windows likes***@******.***
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know the code you received over the call; thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I'll use that code to reset your Windows account password ***** Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have recieved code #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, all right. Please check your emails now as well; did you receive another code on there?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

You should receive another automated call now; please let me know the NEW code provided over the call. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another call just came in - no chance to ask her - probably automated # ***** this time is(###) ###-####- this is why I do not really like the phones for numbers
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, great - I was finally able to verify the account for you!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Now, please let me know a desired password ***** would like to use for your Windows account from now on, and I'll set it for you accordingly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Your email account's password ***** stay the same; just let me know a NEW password ***** you would like to use for your Windows 10 account from now on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got another code #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I was able to verify your account now; thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that***@******.*** with or without the 1 --- alker123 wouild be good or a capital fro theR
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

This is the password ***** your "*****@******.***" account (NOT your email account) - the one you use to log on to Windows. I have resetted the password ***** alker123 now; could you test using this password ***** your Windows 10 system now, and let me know if it works?

Keep me posted.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

If this password ***** for you, kindly do not forget to submit a positive rating at the top of this page - this is the only way that I'll get compensated for assisting you today. Thanks, ***** ***** me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still lost nothing works on either machine in relation to E-mail
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Did you try alker123 as the password ***** the Windows 10 logon screen?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I'm confused now: do you want to set a new password ***** "*****@******.***" or "*****@******.***"?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

We have been at this for a long time now, and I'm afraid I won't be able to stay on much longer - so let's go through this quickly now. You stated in your initial question that you were not able to sign in to your computers, and now you state that you are not able to sign in to email.

First, where EXACTLY are you not able to sign in, and for which account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can sign into my computer but what I am trying to accomplish is a sign in to all the windows availabilties - as they state that one sign in will work on all windows items
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I see; when you try to sign in to these Windows functions, does it prompt you for a password? If so, do you see any email address listed on that same screen?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, can't waste any further time on this now. Opting out for other experts; do NOT rate until your issue has been resolved. Good bye.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In some case yes - from what you tell me I think it may be BELL Canada that is creating the problem as they created a few short cuts that made the sign in automatic when they where installing my network a few years ago ?????????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry to create you situation but I am a novice Thanks for your efforts
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i can try to log in and look at it for you sometime this afternoon

windows 10 really likes to have all ms products under one ms email address that it uses as the id to log into the computer. It is the prelude to their feature which will allow you to log into any computer and see your own desktop if you use your log in. Its not there yet but its what they are planning to go to and they have bugs trying to get things working that way.

you might try making a new user id with a microsoft email address and linking everything to that.