Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I upgraded my computer operating system to Windows 10. After

Customer Question

I upgraded my computer operating system to Windows 10. After doing so a number of the programs I use would not work so I restored my system to Windows 7. My programs still will not open up or work even though I have uninstalled and reinstalled them several times. What is wrong with Windows that it now won't run my programs?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dan. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Here's something you can try.

Go here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

You'll have 30 days to use the pro trial. Uninstall your programs using the Advanced mode.

This thoroughly removes a program, doing a much better job the than the uninstaller that comes with the program.

Then run Microsoft's file checking utility on your drive. To do that click Start and in the search are type: cmd

Right-click on the cmd search result at the top and select Run as Administrator

At the blinking prompt in the black window type: sfc /scannow and press Enter.

As the utility runs it checks Windows system files for errors and tries to fix anything it finds wrong.

Then re-install your program/s and see if they work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Byron - I appreciate your advice.
Unfortunately the procedure that you suggested did not work. I tried it a bout 3 times and always get the same result. The programs install but will not open up and run. This is very frustrating - do I need to completely reformat my hard drive and do a complete new install of Windows 7 Home Premium to get it to work?
Please advise.
Thank you
Dan Fisher
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dan. Happy new year. I apologize for the delay. It was the result of end-of-year activities.

Sometimes when rolling back to Window 7 from Windows 10 system files can get corrupted and

things no longer work as they once did. Running sfc /scannow is a great utility but it has it's limitations and doesn't work

in every situation. Doing a clean installation of Windows 7 will put things

back as they were and your programs will work once again.