Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have an Ideapad core I7 whenever you press F11 or F2 The

Customer Question

I have an Ideapad core I7 whenever you press F11 or F2 The display goes about 50% dim. I had win 8.1 and could co to the control panel and roll the driver back and the displaywould return to normal. I updated to Win 10, and 1 of my teacup shitzu pups ran across the keyboard and naturally hit the brightness button. I now I cannot find the driver in the control panel .PLEASE help me restore the brightness to my display. the d
brightness is fine on an external monitor. HELP
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Can you please check at the back/bottom of the Lenovo IdeaPad laptop for the exact model, such as P400 or U410, etc.?

Was the brightness working fine previously on Windows 10 also?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
20210 p500
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
brightness worked on computer with orginal OS win8, it has hadthe issue on allOS

Thank you. So you press the key F12, it does not increase the brightness right?

How about pressing at the same time the two key Fn and F12?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Also, does other function key work, such as key F7 would enable / disable Wi-Fi / wireless connection

, or key F6 would enable / disable the touchpad

, or key F2/F3 would decrease/increase the volume

, or key F9 would turn on/off the backlight of the LCD screen.

, etc..

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

If you right-click on on an empty space on the Desktop screen, then do you see the option Intel / Graphics Options or Nvidia or ATI / Catalyst Control? If yes, can you click on it, and check all the options there to see if there is any brightness option?

And/or if you click on Start (which is the windows logo icon at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Settings

, then click on option System, then click on option Display on the left

, then on the right, then below the Brightness level option, can you drag the bar to the right in order to increase the brightness?

When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

If that does not work, press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type devmgmt.msc then click OK, then the Device Manager window should open

, then there, below the item Monitors (if needed, double-click on it to open / close it), right-click on the item (likely called Generic PnP Monitor), and click on the option Enable if shown

, then see if you can adjust the screen brightness.

Please click on the website below for video instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5QQDmY7z8k

Thank you.

If that does not work, in Device Manager (you can also right-click on the Start (windows logo) icon at the bottom left of the computer's screen, then click on Device Manager)

, then if it has Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor (instead of Generic PnP Display or Monitor), then right-click on the item Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor, then click on Properties

, then click on the Driver tab, then click on Update driver..., then allow it to automatically update

, then wait a bit and check.

If needed, in Device Manager, double-click on the item Display adapters in order to open / expand it

, then right-click on the item below it, then click on Update driver / software...,

, then allow it to automatically update

, then wait a bit and check brightness.

If all fails, in Device Manage, double-click on the item Display adapters in order to open / expand it. Then check if it shows Intel or NVIDIA. Then go to the appropriate website below to download / install / update the graphics / display driver, then check:

- For Intel:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

- For NVIDIA:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx