IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I changed my password to Google yesterday and now I am

Customer Question

Hello, I changed my password ***** Google yesterday and now I am locked out of my Samsung Note 5 for 72 hours? Surely if I know all the right answers, there is a way around this 72 hour window, isn't there? I can't believe, as smart as you guys are, there isn't a work around for this issue!
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me what you mean by "locked out"? Are you unable to use your Samsung Note 5?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Please describe in what way you cannot use your Samsung Note 5. What do you see on the screen when you power it on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was using my bio log on while cooking, my fingers were wet and I locked myself out. Note 5 then went to back up (which I don't think I set up :( ) and that's when the phone went back to factory reset mode. Unfortunately, during the same time period, I reset my gmail password ***** knowing the two were even related. The phone asks for email account and password, I input it and it tells me can't be found.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Does the phone display your current GMail account and asks you for the password, or you don't see your GMail account displayed at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, the first thing it says, google, verify your account: enter your email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

If the phone was reset to factory defaults, the first thing you would see is to enter a GMail account information. That step, although shown, is optional, and you can skip it without entering anything. Just tap on the right arrow icon at the bottom.

Let me know if it takes you to the next screen.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it doesn't allow me to next arrow out of the email log in screen. if I input my gmail account, it says " this device was reset. To continue, sign in with a google account that was previously synced on this device"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it won't allow me to go to the next screen
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

What you are experiencing is the Device Protection mechanism. Even thought the phone has been reset to factory defaults, you need to sign in with the same GMail account that was used on the phone prior the factory reset, in order to continue using the phone.

So, make sure to enter the correct GMail address and the password.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I only have one gmail address and I know the password ***** I had at the time I purchased the note pad 5 but like I said, I changed it yesterday not knowing the results. my gmail address is szanne.hayes- when I put the new password ***** it doesn't recognize it, do I input the old one or am I truly screwed for 72 hours? There has to be a better answer for people that can prove they are owners
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are you still with me?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hold on - still writing...

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

I am very sorry for the issue. Resetting the Google password ***** did matter since it is a part of the Device Protection 72-hour lock mechanism. Usually, the true owner wouldn't reset the password ***** having its phone reset to factory defaults.

When the password ***** ***** a new password ***** only be used after 72 hours have passed. That was designed to protect both the device and the Google account in case a thief steals the phone and manages to successfully reset the password. A true owner can then try to re-reset the password ***** get back into the Google account and secure it. That way, a thief cannot sign in to the original Google account, and thus, cannot access the phone itself.

So, because of the factory reset and the Google password ***** you have been recognized as a potential thief and the Device Protection 72-hour lock mechanism has been triggered. Once that happens, there is really no way to get back to the phone before the 72-hour period. That is how the Device Protection mechanism works.

I am sorry for the bad news!

For more information about the Device Protection mechanism, you can read on this link:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/12/guide-what-is-android-5-1s-antitheft-device-protection-feature-and-how-do-i-use-it

Regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when did the 72 hour start?
'
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

It started the moment the Google password ***** been reset.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thanks for explaining it to me. There needs to be a warning of some kind, who knew the two were related?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still believe, as smart as the employees are at google, there could be a work around if proven there wasn't a theft but owner error!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

I agree with you. Most users wouldn't think that resetting their Google password ***** lock them out. This Device Protection mechanism is pretty new, so there might be some changes in the near future, such as allowing the true owners to regain access to their phone without waiting for 72 hours.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please make a customer suggestion, if I need to, i'll write in every day :-)
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

I will have you in mind! :)

So far, customers cannot provide their feedback regarding the Device Protection mechanism.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Before you leave, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,