Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I am trying to perform a system restore operation but get a

Customer Question

I am trying to perform a system restore operation but get a "did not complete" message. Can you help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, Please try to Run System Restore From Safe Mode, restart your computer and press F8

before the Windows logo appears. You can also make the system go into Safe Mode by typing msconfig in the Start search box and enabling Safe Boot in the Boot tab.

If you still can’t get System Restore to run properly, type Disk Cleanup in the Start search box, right-click on the first item and choose Run as Administrator. Now click on More Options, and then on Clean up.

once it finish, try the system restore again.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Recommendation did not work....when starting safe mode and attempting to restore received a message "failed to extract original copy of directory. Retried restore but using a different restore point....same message...."could not complete". In following your directions, tried Disk Cleanup.....did not work. I also get the recommended message each time I try Restore....."undo System Restore dated 12/18/15, which is the time I experienced my problem (files disappearing) but even following that path did not work. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 11 months ago.

Please try one of these solutions and let me know the results :

1-First If you’re running an antivirus software, disable it. In most cases, the System Restore did not complete successfully error appears because an antivirus program is already running on the computer and System Restore is trying to use a file that’s also being used by the antivirus.

2-Check System Protection settings :

1. Click Start
  2. Right-click on Computer
  3. Click Properties
  4. Click System Protection
  5. Check if your hard disk has the Protection column value set to On. If the value of the Protection column is Off, select the hard disk and click Configure.

3-Run clean boot :

1. Boot into your computer and click Start
  2. Type msconfig in the search box
  3. Click msconfig from the list
  4. At the General tab, uncheck the Load startup items from the Selective startup radio button
  5. At the Service tab, check Hide all Microsoft services and then click Disable all
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Restart

4-Run sfc : The sfc utility will report any corrupt system files that can be the cause for the System Restore did not complete successfully error.

1. Boot into Windows
    Click Start and type command prompt in the search box to open Command Prompt
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt
  3. Click Run as administrator
  4. Press enter.
  5. Restart your computer and run system restore again.

Hope this help

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing worked....still cannot complete restore
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 11 months ago.

Do you have windows 7 installation disc please?

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 11 months ago.

are you there, do you still need help please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing you suggest is working.....so I am not satisfied
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 11 months ago.

I fear I am not making progress with this case, and cannot necessarily deliver what you are seeking,so I must Opt Out, with sincere regrets. If and when another Expert takes up the case, you ought to receive a notification email.

Thank you

Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

system restore does not always work. It is a very intricate process that depends on the restore service keeping track of each incremental change that you made. Once one of them is lost or corrupted it wont work at all and you cant make it work. The best that you can do is start it up again so it works in the future.

I am sorry but that is just the way it is. once that thing goes bad you wont ever get back an old restore point. Even the part about the anti virus interfering is just a microsoft cop out to avoid responsibility. turning the anti virus off wont make it restore though it might help it work in the future.

If you want to go over what the actual problems are that would have bee fixed by the restore i might be able to help you find another way to deal with them